Menu

Integrating Ambleside Online into The Well Trained Mind schedule?

Literary Mom

Has anyone actually come up with a schedule or chart for integrating Ambleside Online into The Well Trained Mind? I'm thinking of trying to reorder the history and literature of AO to correlate with the chronology / four year cycles of WTM but I don't want to reinvent the wheel if this has already been done. I did some preliminary searching here, but couldn't find what I'm talking about - let me know if I missed it!

I know a lot of people have figured out some way to follow both WTM and Charlotte Mason, so I'm just looking for a more systematic way to do that. At the very least, I'm going to try to use the music and art study from AO, as I like the CM emphasis on that, but ideally, I'd like it to encompass other subjects as well.

I'm also trying to incorporate AO into the WTM, but having a hard time reconciling it. My DD is in 6th, so we're getting a very late start on the AO. We have used their reading lists for years though... LMK if you figure anything out :)

• 1 year later...

I've been doing this for the past two years. I started at Year 1 in Ambleside with my oldest. We didn't do any formal history or geography studies. He would have been in 3rd grade that year, but he was not a strong reader. We spent 2 years on Year 1, the second year with his little sister who was 6 when we started it. Last year, we paired it with SOTW 1 and it was a bit rough. It is hard to find good books for young children that deal with ancient history, let alone classics.

This year, we paired Year 2 with SOTW 2. Still a bit rough, honestly. I have found myself doing more unit studies this year. We have done Shakespeare and castles so far. My kids are really interested in building things and they liked going through Lamb's Shakespeare + the Shakespeare Can Be Fun Series. In a month or so, we'll be reading Robin Hood and doing a unit based on that, which aligns nicely with Year 2 of Ambleside. I only plan on going through SOTW 2 to about 1400 or so and finishing the rest of it next year. I don't plan on doing SOTW 4 with my young kids, so I figured we can afford to go slow and work our way through SOTW 2 and SOTW 3 until my youngest starts school in a few years.

Perfect alignment of the two just isn't going to happen, imo.