Menu

Time Travelers CD by Homeschool in the Woods

Di3kids

Anybody out there use this resource? It really looks fantastic, and we're planning on studying American history this year. There are four CD's that would go along with our study, so I'm pretty excited.

If you have used this, what do you think of this idea?: SL Core 100 with 8th grader, with 6th and 3rd graders listening in to the Hakim series that is scheduled for SL Core 100. I would use the Time Travelers for hands-on learning, and would do some of the SL Core 3/4 books for my two younger children.

Thanks for your comments!

Diane

If you are thinking of using the TT Cds with the 3rd and 6th grader, it sounds good. I have all four of them, but am just using the Colonial CD now. I wouldn't necessarily try to do everything on the CD - it really is a lot. Actually, I am using it as my basic curriculum just supplementing with CLP's Child's Story of America to keep a timeline. I would definitely feel free to pick and choose from what's offered.

Your life may be simpler if you put all kids in one of these (uses the CDs, even has it all printed for you, text and projects and various project materials))

http://www.winterpromise.com/american_crossing_1.html

http://www.winterpromise.com/all_american_1.html

I am hoping to see more reviews, as I am deciding on my American History curriculum. Are these a lot of work?

with a 4th grader this last year. It was GREAT! We loved it, definitely a highlight of our year. The CDs are wonderful, great quality, and you get a lot of info for the price. It is organized in an easy way to follow. These are complete unit studies.

I agree that you can't do it all. The schedule is planned out {at least it was for colonial life} for you to do TT everyday for a month. I actually set aside 2 months as we wanted to do *most* of what was offered. And, even though we spent two months on it, we didn't get around to what we wanted to, there is just that much planned. AND, this is important, there is a lot of prep for the teacher. I was copying off pages and pre-cutting/organizing b/c there was no way my daughter could have done it all by herself and gotten it done in a timely manner. So, take that into consideration. I thought there was a lot to print off, and I was only doing it for one child!

We did this as intended, as a unit study. But, others have commented that they use it as a supplement to their studies, picking the activities that coincide with whatever is being studied at the time. There are notebooking pages to do {these are very fun and very creative! We made a straw tick matress that fit onto a notebook page!} and you could simply do these when you get to that time in history, and then stick them into your notebook. If I would have been a better planner and thought about this, I would have done this myself. I was doing SOTW3 and I could have easily integrated the two programs, instead of stopping SOTW3, doing the TT, and then starting SOTW3.

Anywho, I guess I'm rambling a bit. HTH! :)

Time Traveler's Student Pack

http://www.winterpromise.net/product_info.php?products_id=882

Wonder how it would go with this along with all of the text printed for you?

If these are high quality printing, yes, I would say it is definitely worth it. It all depends if you have more money than time! :) If I were to do it again, I would buy this set!

The only problem I forsee is if you are a free spirit and there is a project you want to do that isn't planned in the pack. The description said "most" projects are prepped. Also, I would probably ask/inquire more about this pack as to WHAT exactly is prepared. Is it just all the projects made from paper? Or, do they give you supplies to make the crafts too? We don't use a color cartridge on our printer and, it all worked out with my daughter coloring in certain pages. But, if it was all done up for me, in color, it would be very tempting to just have someone else do the work. We worked on our TT projects for about an hour a day. PLUS I was prepping for an hour a day. :) From what I can tell, this pack looks like just the paper projects, not crafts, but it would be worth asking. Here is another thought: at least in Colonial Life there were notebook pages and lapbook pages. They overlapped and so you were supposed to choose which one you wanted to do. This is something else I would inquire. Are both planned out and paper for both provided? Or, did WP already choose which method to go with and only that will be provided? I'm not familiar at all with WP. It seems like a program my middle daughter would enjoy though! :) One more thought, doing FOUR TT cds in one year just seems like overkill, unless you were just going to pick a few things to do from each cd. It is definitely worth the price if used fully as a unit study, but if you are going to just pick and choose, there might be a better, less expensive option for you.

Not to complicate matters, but does anybody have experience with these other products? Thanks for the input on TT CDs. I appreciate it!

Diane

I have looked at both of these different companies, but have not used their projects. Hands and Hearts are full kits for crafts, everything provided for you except maybe basics like glue. They are pricey too but I've heard they are very high quality and thorough. History pockets, from what I've gathered, are paper projects that you can print, do and then stick in a notebook. Time Travelers includes both the crafts and the paper projects. You just have to do all the prep yourself (unless you buy the WP kit!;))

I have used all three. It is a toss up between the Hands and Hearts kits and the Time Travelers CD's. Some of the things my kids have retained the most have come from these two items. They can still look at a column and tell if it is Doric, Ionoc, or Corinthian, two years later, thanks to Hands & Hearts. The nice thing about the TT cd's is that they are reproducible so you can print out as many as you need for each student. The great thing about H&H is that all the project materials are already there for you in a box, you don't have to gather those together. I know I probably just confused you more, but either would be a great addition to any curricula.

Dorothy

Is there a variety of crafts in the TT or is it mostly lapbooking? Can a 9 year old complete the projects as opposed to Mom :001_huh: completing them?

Yes, there is a BIG variety. Some crafts included in Colonial Times were: cross stitch sampler, lavender satchet, stenciled box, woven hot pad, and luminary candle holder {which was a BIG hit in our house} to name a few. Yes, supervision and prep is required, but I found Daisy (10) could do *most* of the craft on her own. :)

in the TT series. If you HAD to choose, which ones would you do (New World Explorers, Colonial Life, The American Revolution, the Early 19th Century)? Also, is this more of a girly thing, or will there also be interesting ideas for a 13 y.o. boy? Thanks so much!

Diane

I haven't done all 4, but would LOVE to do all 4. I don't think it would be over kill at all. My kids (and I) had so much fun with CL it was amazing! But I haven't done all four, so I may be incorrect in my opinion after all. :)

I have done colonial life and have new world explorers. I wish I could just take the time off of other things and do these. I think all 4 together would be a GREAT American history for 1 year, just take 2 months do do each one. Believe me, there is enough information, suggested resources, etc. to take 2 months on each one.

It is for boys and girls a like. :) Yes, I woud think he would enjoy it. :)

in the TT series. If you HAD to choose, which ones would you do (New World Explorers, Colonial Life, The American Revolution, the Early 19th Century)? Also, is this more of a girly thing, or will there also be interesting ideas for a 13 y.o. boy? Thanks so much!

Diane

I was the one that mentioned overkill. It would be for me at least. I felt that although it was worth it, it was ALOT of work and I couldn't imagine keeping up with that pace all year. If I were to do all four, that is probably all I would do for history, like Tina suggested. I LOVE crafts and I love unit studies, but I guess I'm not the unit studies kinda gal all the time. We do history pretty simply, normally, just kind of pick up and go, so TT was a lot of prep work for me and I'm fairly organized and with it. :) I think if someone is really really into this approach and it fits them well, than it may not be overkill. I guess I was thinking if it were to be combined with another history program it would be overkill, which is what the OP was thinking of doing {I think!}

As for what one to pick and choose, I think it would be up to your child's interests. I don't think these are totally girly and wouldn't put them in that category at all. :)

Angie,

I totally agree, I couldn't imagine doing all of TT along with another full curriculum. It would kill me! LOL :) For me, it would have to be one or the other, or a full history curr. and bits and pieces of TT to go with it. :)

We happened to use TT CL as a summer activity.

Angie,

I totally agree, I couldn't imagine doing all of TT along with another full curriculum. It would kill me! LOL :) For me, it would have to be one or the other, or a full history curr. and bits and pieces of TT to go with it. :)

We happened to use TT CL as a summer activity.

But, I thought you were super woman? ;) I say that b/c I've looked at your blog a few times and am always amazed at how organized you are and what you get accomplished. You do some amazing stuff and I've been inpired by you several times!:) I think doing TT as a summer activity is a GREAT idea! We did colonial life too and just loved it! I would LOVE to do all of them too. :)