Menu

starting to plan for the Logic stage need some guidance

I starting Classical ed in 3rd with my DD, (now in 4th) we are working through WWE3, FLL3, SOTW2. Not sure if I should stip WWE4 & FLL4 and go into WWS & ALL for 5th? Also I was reading WTM if we start late to use Usborne or Kingfisher books, Can I use STOW4 & 5 with outlining? And should I even start the Logic stage? She a great reader and dislikes writing.

I started WTM stuff with dd in 3rd as well. We are doing WWE3 and SOTW2 also. I plan to go straight into WWS with her for 5th. If it seems like it is too much, we put that on hold and use WWE4 for a while. I'm using SOTW3 with her and adding in some extra reading with Hakim's US books and some encyclopedia work and readers as well. As far as grammar goes, ALL is not complete and, from what I understand, it might not be finished by this fall. You might want to finish FLL4 and then look into an already completed program. There are a few threads here about what people are using instead of ALL. I plan to use KISS grammar myself. It looks amazing and it's free:001_smile:

• 3 weeks later...

The SOTW 4 AG introduces one-level outlines. Outlining is covered in WWS, one-level outlining once a week, in weeks 2-22. Two-level outlines are introduced starting in week 27. You could wait until then to do outlines, if you'd like. In the 3rd ed of TWTM, I believe SWB recommends creating lists of facts for each 2-page spread covered in the history encyclopedia, instead of outlining because the info is so concise that it makes outlining difficult. This depends on which encyclopedia you're using, of course. I've read here on the boards that the older ed Kingfisher (white cover) can be outlined from. I'm not sure about outlining from SOTW 3 & 4, maybe others will chime in.

My ds also doesn't enjoy writing, but he likes the variety of assignments in WWS. Maybe it's more that he likes that some writing days are a lot shorter than others. At least this has been the case for him so far. For the first 15 weeks, there are summarizing assignments almost every week. Then the book moves on to other things and the student incorporates those skills into the other assignments. I'd base whether to do WWE 4 or WWS on what you think of your dd's summarizing skills when she finishes WWE 3.