Menu

reading comprehension issues...

so my 11 yr old (see siggies for more info) did horribly on the reading comprehension part of her CAT test. shes not a bad reader, struggles a bit, but i was surprised by her score on this part. as i started researching more into it, i started think that it probably has a great deal to do with her disabilities (for lack of a better word). she constantly can repeat things back to me (like instructions) word for word, but now that i think about it, i honestly have no clue if she is grasping what is said, like processing it.

so we need to work on comprehension i guess from two different angles.

1. any ideas on what we can do for school?? are there any good reading comprehension programs? shes 11 but working on about a 4th grade level.

2. and ideas of how we can improve following directions and such and comprehending everday things?

thanks so much, again lol! :grouphug:

I'm not an expert so I am at least giving you a bump but have you seen this program from Linguisystems?

http://www.linguisystems.com/products/product/display?itemid=10468

There's a second level too:

http://www.linguisystems.com/products/product/display?itemid=10469

They come in a workbook format also.

You might want to peruse the many offerings in the Linguisystems website, if you haven't already. Hope others chime in :)!

What about her ability to visualize when she is reading? There is a lot of research out there that says readers who can visualize while they are reading (like making a movie in their head) have better comprehension abilities.

Programs like Lindamood Bell's Visualizing and Verbalizing and Mind Prime's Idea Chain address visualization skills. I also recently purchased a book that someone on this board recommended called Reading is Seeing by Jeffrey D. Wilhelm. Unfortunately, I have not had time to read it yet, but I plan on getting to it eventually:).

:iagree:I agree that that could be an issue. Think of how much time ps spends on "practice" tests prior to actually taking the state tests. At least that is what it is like here in our district. A lot of "teaching to the test" so school scores look good.

Edited to add: I know that Remedia Publications (http://rempub.com) has test taking books, such as "E-Z Test Readiness" and "Test Taking Strategies". I am sure that there are other publishers who sell similar kinds of books if you feel that your dd is having more difficulty with actual test taking rather than comprehension.

Edited by houseofkids&pets
Added additional info

:iagree:I agree that that could be an issue. Think of how much time ps spends on "practice" tests prior to actually taking the state tests. At least that is what it is like here in our district. A lot of "teaching to the test" so school scores look good.

I think Houseofkids&pets is on to something here. How many times has your dd11 taken a standardized test?

I have no love for standardized testing. We do it every few yrs to give them the "experience" for test taking in this format, but I don't think it's a good way of measuring what a student is learning.