Menu

Need help with English sequence

This year, my daughter took a literature co-op class once per week (1 1/2 hours of class time, plus about 3-6 hours of work outside of class). In the fall, they did Windows to the World. In the spring, they covered four pieces of literature (one per month), using activities from Excellence in Literature. I also added in vocabulary (using Vocabulary for the High School Student-completed first half of book, also did Vocab Cartoons-one per day), and a quick grammar review (fall semester). My daughter has done well and has a 99 average in the outside portion of the class and has completed the work I've required of her for the at-home portion.

Now, I'm looking ahead to the remainder of her English credits for high school.

Option 1:

take a British Lit class through a different co-op, continue with Vocabulary for the High School Student, and perhaps try to do IEW's Elegant Essay on our own at home; take an online honors English Program in 11th, and then AP English Language & Composition in 12th.

Option 2:

Take an online honors English program in 10th grade--this would be very challenging and includes SAT prep, etc., then AP English Language & Composition in 11th grade (through the same online program as previous year), leaving either AP Lit in 12th or a modern literature study in 12th.

Option 2 for sure. I am in 10th grade now and taking AP English Language, its a very good course. I am taking it through keystone online school and I plan to take AP Lit in 11th and will most likely throw in another science course during 12th and take a course at the CC. The first option is not rigiourous enough if your DD is even considering Option 2 is shows she has the drive to do it. Tell her AP Lang is fun :D

ps I am typing on my phone so please excuse any spelling errors.

Both your options look great! The ONLY thing I'd suggest is you might want to make sure somewhere along the line you do cover some of the "usual suspects" (LOL) of British AND of American Literature, as those works, along with "The Iliad" and "The Odyssey" tend to be most often taught in high school, and so colleges tend to expect you've covered them.

BEST of luck in your literature adventures throughout high school! Warmest regards, Lori D.