Menu

LOE on a Budget

crazyfordlr

Can someone help me prioritize what my immediate needs would be? Here are my thoughts...

Priority 1 - TM, 2 wkbk's, basic phonogram cards

Priority 2 - spelling journals, advanced phonogram cards

Priority 3 - spelling rules flashcards, grammar flashcards

Priority 4 - game book, game cards

Does anyone have the spelling journal? Could I get away with just a spiral notebook, or is it worth $8?

I don't mind buying something if it's worth it. But I'm not a budget (aren't we all.)

TIA!!!!

Someone that has the set already please correct if I am wrong, but looking at the TOC online, it looks like the phonograms, spelling rules, and grammar rules are listed in the teacher's manual. You could make your own cards. A pack of card stock is not that expensive.

Someone that has the set already please correct if I am wrong, but looking at the TOC online, it looks like the phonograms, spelling rules, and grammar rules are listed in the teacher's manual. You could make your own cards. A pack of card stock is not that expensive.

Good point, I bet they are. I'm running on 3 hrs of sleep and the brain is foggy ;) Thanks

Ok, I need to know...what's the popcorn guy all about? I belong to another board and there it's a sign of major drama. I'm sure it doesn't mean that here, but I can't quite figure out what it *does* mean.

It could mean people are waiting to watch the drama unfold, but that's usually on the General Board. The K-8 boards are mostly drama free. When it's not about the drama, it just means people are anxious to hear the replies. The latter applies to this thread since it is drama free.

Now if you could answer a question for me: What does LOE stand for?

LoE stands for The Logic of English. It is a spelling program that (to me) seems to combine the spelling approach of Spell To Write And Read with the ease-of-use of AAS.

OP,

The popcorn icon on this forum:

just means people are anxious to hear the replies.
usually because they are interested in the particular curriculum/method being discussed.

I don't know what the workbooks for LoE are. The TM seems to be similar to AAS. If you are on a tight budget, you should be able to get by with just the TM, a regular notebook and making your own phonogram cards.

You can print a set of Spalding phonogram cards (available at many sites online) and make the extra LoE phonograms on index cards.

Edited by nansk

We bought the Teacher's Manual, one workbook per kid and the game book with 3 sets of game cards. I had used SWR before and figured I could just modify the phonogram cards from it (there are 4 new ones a few new sounds). This is working fine. I plan to make our own grammar and spelling rule cards. Everything is listed pretty conveniently in the teacher's manual and it would not be hard at all to make your own flash cards.

The game book and game cards are nice. Having 3 decks of cards is best cause some of the games require 3. If you really needed to, you could buy the game book and make your own game cards. The game cards are really nice though- more like playing card quality. You could get by without them though. I would probably not buy one deck if you aren't going to buy 3. It would be hard to play some of the games if you had cards that didn't match I think... So, just make 3 decks yourself, so they all would match.

We didn't get the spelling journal, so I'm not sure what it is like. I have just been using a regular composition book for my son to write the vocab development words in. I think that will work fine for us.

We bought the Teacher's Manual, one workbook per kid and the game book with 3 sets of game cards. I had used SWR before and figured I could just modify the phonogram cards from it (there are 4 new ones a few new sounds). This is working fine. I plan to make our own grammar and spelling rule cards. Everything is listed pretty conveniently in the teacher's manual and it would not be hard at all to make your own flash cards.

The game book and game cards are nice. Having 3 decks of cards is best cause some of the games require 3. If you really needed to, you could buy the game book and make your own game cards. The game cards are really nice though- more like playing card quality. You could get by without them though. I would probably not buy one deck if you aren't going to buy 3. It would be hard to play some of the games if you had cards that didn't match I think... So, just make 3 decks yourself, so they all would match.

We didn't get the spelling journal, so I'm not sure what it is like. I have just been using a regular composition book for my son to write the vocab development words in. I think that will work fine for us.

Did you buy one of each deck of cards? I was trying to figure out what 3 to choose :D.

Did you choose cursive or manuscript? And, how old are your kiddos?

I bought 3 decks of cursive. We did cursive first, so I figured we'd just stick with those. I think it would be fine to get whichever and mix cursive with bookface, etc... The backs of the cards are all the same (the Logic of English logo), so in matching games, etc. that wouldn't be a problem.

My kids that are using it are 7 and 5 (almost 6). My 7 year old is breezing through so far, but he already had a year and a half of SWR, so he already knows all the phonograms, etc. We are loving it- they both beg to do more every day. We are just on the 4th lesson and anything new is fun to them :001_smile:... Hopefully they will keep loving it. I am!

Thanks :001_smile:. I am thinking about all of this. It's a lot of $$$ and I do have WRTR sitting here though I doubt I'll ever use it. I hear it's simple but boy does it seem complicated. If it's so simple why can't I just open it up and start teaching. There is so much info to wade through and there's still this nagging question of whether or not I'm doing it right and if it will really benefit my kids enough to make all the effort worthwhile. I went ahead and ordered Denise Eide's book to read and have as a resource. That was a $$ commitment I could make :). I'm sitting on the LOE Essentials option for now and waiting for the dust to settle.

Edited by abrightmom