Menu

Math Sequence

Hi guys well so far I have been loving TT for Algebra 2 although it is a bit easy I have been suplementing with Khan academy. Here is my problem last year I did geometry online and really did not get it. i passed with an 89.5% (the teacher took of 5 points in my assignment because of the font used :glare: I would have had an A) but anyway I really did not grasp the concepts and now I am worried I will not be ready for the SAT. My question is which math sequence do you think it best? I plan to go into medicine.

Option 1

8th Pre Algebra

9th geometry

10th Algebra 2/ pre calc

11th calc Honors/ AP statistics

12th AP Calc

Option 2

8th Pre Algebra

9th geometry

10th TTAlgebra 2/ TT Geometry

11th Pre Calc/ AP Statistics

12th Calc

Option 3

8th Pre Algebra

9th geometry

Calc over the summer online

12th AP Calc

Do you think I could do Pre calc and Geometry at the same time after I finish Algebra 2?

Option 1

8th Pre Algebra

If you have been doing Algebra 2, why do you want to go all the way back to Pre-Algebra? If anything, re-take Algebra 1, especially if you used TT for Algebra 1 the first time around. Please don't turn this into a big whether-or-not-TT-is-behind thing, but for a student who both plans to pursue a STEM field AND plans to take multiple AP math exams, I would not recommend TT.

9th geometry

10th Algebra 2/ pre calc

11th calc Honors/ AP statistics

Are you sure you want to take both of these courses in one year? Sounds like a bit much.

12th AP Calc

Option 2

8th Pre Algebra

See my note above about this.

9th geometry

Why would you take TT geometry again, if you'd be taking a geometry course in 9th? Also, see my TT note above.

Seems like a bit much for one year.

12th Calc

Option 3

8th Pre Algebra

See note above.

9th geometry

See note above.

Again, this seems like a lot.

Calc over the summer online

12th AP Calc

How about just doing AP Calculus, but starting it over the summer so you have extra time to do it?

Do you think I could do Pre calc and Geometry at the same time after I finish Algebra 2? If you struggled with geometry before, then I'd recommend taking a full year to re-do it.

With all of that said, here's my suggested sequence:

8th - Algebra 1 (it seems unnecessary to redo Pre-Algebra at this point)

9th - Geometry

10th - Algebra 2

11th - Precalculus

12th - AP Calculus OR AP Statistics

And don't use TT, unless you are able to significantly supplement it.

Here's another sequence to consider:

8th - Geometry (not using TT - why use the same program if it didn't work the first time around?)

Summer Before 9th - Review Algebra 1 (maybe use TT? Just as a "lite" review) OR Finish/Reinforce Geometry

9th - Algebra 2

Summer Before 10th - Start Precalculus

10th - Finish Precalculus, Start AP Calculus

Summer Before 11th - AP Calculus

11th - AP Calculus

12th - AP Statistics

Again, no TT unless it's being used only to review/reinforce and NOT as the full math program.

This sequence will require work over the summer, but will give you plenty of time to do AP Calculus and will allow you to do two AP math exams.

For both sequences - if you have any extra time, use it to take a discrete math course.

Also, this is totally off topic, but considering that you're 15, and you're taking a whole bunch of AP courses, how will you be in 8th grade next year?

HTH, SuperDad

Also, this is totally off topic, but considering that you're 15, and you're taking a whole bunch of AP courses, how will you be in 8th grade next year?

I believe the OP is currently in 10th grade and giving a summary of what she took in 8th and 9th grade.

And taking 2 math courses will not be a problem I have taken 3 sciences courses before 2 are AP in its not a problem. I just did not get Geometry with keystone. Also I will be retuning to ps for 11th and 12th. The math program at that school is hell but I have already looked at placement test and will be more than ready by summer time. I have sumpplmented TT with Khan academy and I am taking AP Chem and the book I am using does more math than my actual math course :confused:

So what you're really asking is what we think you should take at ps next year and what to do from now until then to prepare.

I think option2 is the most realistic. TT Algebra 2 will not prepare you to go directly into Calculus. I can see that happening from Kinetic Books Algebra 2, but not TT. My dd did KB Algebra 2 last year and I still think working through Lial's Precalculus this year is important.

If you feel that your geometry skills are lacking, then TT Geometry might be good for you, but I think aleks geometry is another possibility. I haven't actually tried their geometry, but aleks does diagnostic tests so you can skip all the stuff you clearly know from the diagnostic test and just work on filling in holes. I don't think aleks is very good at teaching though.

You could just go through all the Brightstorm or Khan Academy geometry videos to refresh yourself.

Anyway, I'd recommend precalculus for 11th and calculus for 12th. If you want to throw in AP statistics somewhere along the way, I don't see any problem with that.

Thank you so much I will most likely go with TT but option 1 is dead and gone but Option 2 and 3 are now up for grabs. Knowing me I will most likely take Calc starting March/April and finish by August /September my 11 th grade summer so that I can do AP Calc. I am planning a STEM major Bio to be exact with a minor in lit so I need math.