Menu

Outlining with WWS & CW Homer

ReneTL

We've been plugging away with Homer, but I've recently added WWS. I like what CW teaches; but I worry about my competency at teaching it. I get very confused juggling books and making sure I'm giving the right directions. It's a real stretch for my skill set - I feel clueless most of the time! So, I've added WWS as a back-up.

The outlining in Homer seems so convoluted compared to WWS. Would it make sense to use more of a WWS approach for level one of the outline, then use Theon's components for the level 2? I know this is a stupid question, but I'm in such a state of confusion, I need the Hive to do my thinking for me.:confused:

Thanks so much.

Peace,

Rene

Well, Theon's is more analysis than it is mere outlining. It's a different tool with a different purpose. Maybe just tackle that A&I skill and set some of the others aside for a little while? Then you can move on and pick the others back up.

Personally I found the blank planning forms at the back of the Homer core to be the most help in sorting the course out. I copied one off for each kid and list what skill level they are in for each A&I Day. I have post-its marking where those skills are explained in the core, and anything else I reference (editing chart in the back, writing projects..). We've really moved away from using the workbooks, though I still check them for model suggestions and such.

The outlining in Homer seems so convoluted compared to WWS. Would it make sense to use more of a WWS approach for level one of the outline, then use Theon's components for the level 2? I know this is a stupid question, but I'm in such a state of confusion, I need the Hive to do my thinking for me.:confused:

Thanks so much.

Peace,

Rene

I agree that Theon's components are more literary analysis than regular outline material. Person = character, Action, Manner, Cause = Plot, Place and Time = setting.

That said, I think you are the right track with the outlining. Look at the step 1 and 2 of the examples for writing project 3 and 4 in the Core book. The story is divided into scenes and then there is a one sentence (or phrase) summary of the scene. This summary sentence is similar to a level one of an outline in WWS. The difference would be that WWS tends to go paragraph by paragraph while CW goes by scene which means there may be more than one paragraph being summarized at a time. Theon's components are then listed under the scene and summary sentence as shown in step 2.

HTH

Edited by Narrow Gate Academy
fix grammar