Menu

SOTW for the 1st time with a Logic student

My dd is over halfway through 5th grade and my ds in 3rd. We were with Sonlight in Cores F and B until they came to me in January at different times both crying about how much they didn't like it. I don't think homeschooling has to be all fun but I do want them to enjoy it. I certainly don't want them stressing and crying over it. That would put us right back where we were in public school before we pulled them out a couple years ago.

I decided to use SOTW with them and this was our first week. They LOVE it! They thought listening to the CDs of the text was great and my ds retained so much more by both listening and following along in the text. We have scheduled review questions, narrations, supplemental reading (Usborne for my ds), mapping, a video or documentary and tests for every week. We will do one chapter a week.

I know my dd needs more than just the SOTW text and activity guide. I have added to her schedule a historical fiction (about 1 a month or so for every major time period). I also added readings in K12 The Human Odyssey and Archeology Magazine that were put together by a WTM forum lady called Kate in Arabia. She is learning how to outline in a workbook by Remedia Press and when she finishes that in a couple months I was going to have her do some outlining as well.

Now I think I am giving her too much. Some of the HO readings are over 20 pages long (but do line up perfectly with SOTW) and she wasn't enthused by it today or looking through the rest of the book. Would going through SOTW for the first time and really digging deep in maybe an encyclopedia and documentaries be enough for her? I am thinking of just dropping the HO schedule, have her read Kingfisher or Usborne (and eventually outline it) and she herself suggested more historical fiction because she loves to read. We are going to get Discovery Streaming Plus for videos and documentaries. Is that enough for her for the next 4 years?

Thanks in advance for all your advice. I learn great things on this forum.

Jen

Would going through SOTW for the first time and really digging deep in maybe an encyclopedia and documentaries be enough for her? I am thinking of just dropping the HO schedule, have her read Kingfisher or Usborne (and eventually outline it) and she herself suggested more historical fiction because she loves to read. We are going to get Discovery Streaming Plus for videos and documentaries. Is that enough for her for the next 4 years?

Thanks in advance for all your advice. I learn great things on this forum.

Jen

YES! Get out your WTM book - what you described is pretty much what is recommended for logic stage history for families with a mix of grammar/logic stage students. Logic stage student sits in for younger's SOTW (in your case she's fully utilizing it), then does the extra encyclopedia reading, outlining, additional reading from outside sources (you mention historical fiction, and documentaries can help fill this in). I'd just add written summaries (narration pages) sometimes. Sounds like a plan!

YES! Get out your WTM book - what you described is pretty much what is recommended for logic stage history for families with a mix of grammar/logic stage students. Logic stage student sits in for younger's SOTW (in your case she's fully utilizing it), then does the extra encyclopedia reading, outlining, additional reading from outside sources (you mention historical fiction, and documentaries can help fill this in). I'd just add written summaries (narration pages) sometimes. Sounds like a plan!

I guess I am feeling insufficient because so many people talk about supplementing in Logic stage with HO or other series. But going back through the WTM book, I see that you are indeed right. I guess I shouldn't stress so much!

How about reading selections from Human Odyssey, instead of the entire thing? For each unit, ask her to pick ONE thing she wants to learn more about, then instead of reading all 30 pages about ancient India, she reads more about the topic or person that interested her?

It's a nice compromise that gets her reading a text that is more her level, without swamping her.