Menu

Immunization rant and is there anything I can do?

Wanted to add also, that many times, no matter how many times you receive a vax, your body will never produce the antibodies. I have been vaccinated for Rubella many times and still test as non immune. After my second pregnancey I refused to be vaccinated for it anymore as obviously my body will not produce those antibodies. So some of these cases of things like pertussis very well may be like me and although vaccinated, for some reason their body simply does not produce the antibodies.

I have been vaccinated for Rubella many times and still test as non immune.

Are you talking about having your titers checked? If so, that is not necessarily a reliable method of assessing immunity. Unless your immune system has recently been challenged by rubella germs, you might not have detectable levels of antibodies in your bloodstream but still be able to mount an effective immune response.

Tara

Wanted to add also, that many times, no matter how many times you receive a vax, your body will never produce the antibodies.

That's quite uncommon. My husband was vaxed against rubella and still got it. I've had chicken pox 3 times. My titer shows antibodies, but not enough to acquire immunity (I had chicken pox the third time after the titer so I was most definitely not immune). Being unable to become immune, however, is extremely unusual and doesn't come close to "many times." MOST people do indeed become immune from vaccines just as MOST people become immune to chicken pox after having it one time.