Menu

Two math ?s . . . . Horizon Math & Remedial Math

kandty

Two seperate math questions. First is Horizon math considered above grade level?

Second . . . . . my oldest has been around a grade level behind since third-fourth grade. It is really no big deal, but he has recently noticed and feels discouraged about it. He also has grown in his math skills in the past two months and is ready to hit math hard and "catch up". What do I do to bring him up a level in math?

Two seperate math questions. First is Horizon math considered above grade level?

Second . . . . . my oldest has been around a grade level behind since third-fourth grade. It is really no big deal, but he has recently noticed and feels discouraged about it. He also has grown in his math skills in the past two months and is ready to hit math hard and "catch up". What do I do to bring him up a level in math?

I can't help you, but I'll bump you in hopes that someone else can.

Both of my boys are special needs. They are 11 and they are also considered "behind" as well. I'm really trying to get away from that line of thinking, but I get what you mean. We used Horizons Math from grades 1-3. I was really bummed when we completed Calvert Math 1 and found Horizons 2 to be too advanced for them. They placed into Horizons 1. I felt like we were doing 1st grade math all over.

I found that math placement really differs between the different math programs. Yes, Horizons Math is considered about 1 grade level "ahead" of other math programs.We stuck it out with Horizons until about a month ago. Its a great program, but we really needed a change. What worked for us then didn't work for us now. We were half way through Horizons 3 when we switched to Teaching Textbooks and they placed at level 4 and are working pretty quickly through it. We should be starting level 5 by Sept.

Edited by twinmami01