Menu

For those with questions about AAS

KristenR

Thanks! I do have a question - I have a first grader who is a decent speller (his teacher gives them lists each week concentrating on a vowel sound). We'll be homeschooling for second grade, and I have been on the fence about using AAS. I'm worried he'll be bored with it, or I'll buy the first level and find out we should have started at level 2 or 3. I have no good way to evaluation where to start.

Any thoughts?

Thanks! I do have a question - I have a first grader who is a decent speller (his teacher gives them lists each week concentrating on a vowel sound). We'll be homeschooling for second grade, and I have been on the fence about using AAS. I'm worried he'll be bored with it, or I'll buy the first level and find out we should have started at level 2 or 3. I have no good way to evaluation where to start.

Any thoughts?

Some kids can start in Level 2, but they don't suggest starting any higher than that. The levels do not equal grade levels, which can throw some people off.

Here's a link to an article about which level to start in.

If you do start with a level 2, you'll still need a student packet from level 1 so you have the phonogram and sound cards that get carried up the levels as you go.

HTH

Edited by nukeswife

Some kids can start in Level 2, but they don't suggest starting any higher than that. The levels do not equal grade levels, which can throw some people off.

Here's a link to an article about which level to start in.

If you do start with a level 2, you'll still need a student packet from level 1 so you have the phonogram and sound cards that get carried up the levels as you go.

HTH

I agree with everything Nukeswife stated. My dd5 is a pretty amazing natural speller. Even now on level 3 she pretty much spells everything correctly the first time. But what I LOVE is that with AAS we are learning WHY the words are spelled specific ways. It's not just a matter of memorizing the words from previous readings. You learn all the little rules and tricks to help booster your confidence. I was amazed when awhile back my dd said she thought she could figure out how to write astronomy on her own. She took into account rules she had learned and practiced breaking the word apart into syllables and sure enough- she got it right. I was amazed not just that she could spell it but that she was intimidated at the get-go. I attribute it all to the strong foundation AAS is building with her. I would really recommend starting with Level 1 with your kiddo even if you you do breeze right through it. Chances are you'll learn a trick or two that you didn't know before.