Menu

8yo writing sample (no writing program yet)

My 8yo has a vocabulary workbook for gifted students that she has recently started. She was given the following word list and told to use as many words as possible in writing her own story: agree, destroy, enemy, flat, measure, narrow, stem, tire.

Here's what she wrote: (We do not currently have any formal writing. We're going to be starting WS3 soon, though.)

It was a very bad week. In fact, the week was my enemy. My friend did not agree. I had a flat tire on my car. There was no flower on my stem. We could not measure our narrow driveway. I told the week, "Why did you destroy our day?"

I had to add all of the appropriate punctuation. (We're still working on that. :glare:) But I thought the story was cute. And she used all of the words. :tongue_smilie:

Wow! It sounds like you have a writer in your home. I'd encourage the creative process of writing with her and I bet she'll be amazing. My DS is 8, while great in some subjects, he struggles to put together a sentence with vocabulary words without just writing the definition.

Wow! It sounds like you have a writer in your home. I'd encourage the creative process of writing with her and I bet she'll be amazing. My DS is 8, while great in some subjects, he struggles to put together a sentence with vocabulary words without just writing the definition.

Thank you! She has always enjoyed writing stories, ever since she was like 4 or 5. I've just never done anything more than copywork and narration with her, though.

Love it! Sounds like my ds 8 who also loves to write stories on his own. One reason why I question if using the classical aproach is right for him when it comes to writing. By WS3 are you referring to writing strands? I think he needs the creative aspect of writing.

Thanks for sharing it made me smile because it is super cute the way she incorporated the words.

Love it! Sounds like my ds 8 who also loves to write stories on his own. One reason why I question if using the classical aproach is right for him when it comes to writing. By WS3 are you referring to writing strands? I think he needs the creative aspect of writing.

Thanks for sharing it made me smile because it is super cute the way she incorporated the words.

Yes, Writing Strands. She loved doing the sample lesson, so I think it will be a good fit for her.