Menu

Ideas for reluctant cursive learner?

kailuamom

My dd (almost 8) has yet to learn cursive. Her manuscript *can* be neat, if she tries. She knows the Zaner-Bloser style of manuscript, and has not shown much, if any, interest in moving on to cursive. She has done a few pages here and there, but I she finds handwriting (including manuscript sometimes) to be a bit stressful because she wants to write faster. I don't want to shove it in her face...any ideas for alternative programs that could spark her interest?

Thanks!

Handwriting without Tears.

I tried my dd w/ Z-B cursive first (because I think Z-B is lovely in appearance). She could do it, but it never 'translated' into her other work. She just never chose to write cursive on her own. Something about it just wasn't transitioning for her.

So, I switched to HWT (even though I thought the style itself was uglier than Z-B) & it made a night & day difference. Suddenly, she starting using cursive for other things (notes to her friends, just writing her name on something, workbook pages, etc...). And, after they get comfortable w/ using cursive, they develop their own style anyway.

We definitely (and highly) recommend HWT! :001_smile:

Stacia -

Thanks for the recommendation! I will look into HWT -- I have always heard about it, just went with Z-B for some reason with my older dd and figured it would work with dd #2. Nope! lol

One question: Do you have to start from the beginning with HWT? If she already knows manuscript, can she just jump into HWT cursive?

Thanks,

Deborah

One question: Do you have to start from the beginning with HWT? If she already knows manuscript, can she just jump into HWT cursive?

No need to start at the beginning (we didn't). Just jump right into their first cursive book (starts at a '3rd grade level'). http://shopping.hwtears.com/category/cursive

Everything is explained very clearly. Even though I bought the teacher manual, I very rarely used it because the student book explains everything well enough (imo).

Thanks! I looked at the samples they have and I think she may like this style better -- although I agree that it is not as "pretty" as Z-B. :001_smile:

We loved the way it taught letter formation so simply. I asked ds to slant it, but that didn't always happen. Now that he has learned so painlessly how to form the letters, we'll transition to a "regular" handwriting book.

We did one page a day. It was just something to do and actually he loved it! He felt so proud of himself. I made a big deal of learning cursive and being able to understand my "codes" now, etc.