Menu

On-the-Road-School

Targhee

I need some suggestions for schooling on the road. :bigear: What curricula/activities/audiobooks/games/workbooks/apps/etc. do you think will work on the road? I need suggestions for 1st grade DS and 4th grade DD - something(s) to keep their minds stimulated and skills sharp while traveling since most of our curricula we can't bring along.

They need to be self-contained (no printer/copier access and don't want to take along too many manipulatives). The need to be able to do some if not all in the car. We will have the DVD player and ipods/ipad with us. They also need to be easily attainable (leaving in a week).

We are about to take an 18-day trip to visit family, attending a wedding, etc. in four different states. My DH just returned from Afghanistan and everyone wants to see him (funny how no one comes HERE to see him :001_rolleyes:). I have been just trying to hold school together for the last few months so we really can't afford to not school during this trip (we have an umbrella school to answer to).

TIA!

First off, congratulations!

My kids are much younger, but when we travel I fill a huge tote bag with our workbooks, read alouds, math flashcards and composition books. Each day we just do our workbooks (spelling, ETC), review flashcards, read and do copywork from that reading. For math review, I also just use a spiral notebook and write out a page of facts for each day. It only takes us about 45 min. a day, but I still feel like we're getting something done and staying sharp.

Oh, and for the car ride you can check out Audio Memory songs, Classical Kids, SOTW audio, books on tape (we listened to the entire Narnia series last summer on a road trip!).

Have fun!