Menu

Geography memorizing countries question

bethben

Please help me think through this. I'm trying not to overburden my upcoming 7th grader. I liked the idea that the Classical Conversations Challenge levels have when they draw the world. But, then I was thinking - wouldn't just memorizing all the countries well be enough? I know they cement more in your brain if you draw them, but wouldn't just know which country was which be enough?

Also, are there any good updated songs for learning countries? I know of "geography songs" but are there any more? I'm asking for my two youngers who seem to be able to memorize anything with a song.

Beth

Edited by bethben

I'm not sure I understand what kind of song you would learn to memorize the locations and/or outlines of countries.

My 5 yo son learned a large number of countries by playing what he calls "the map game". We simply put a large laminated world map on our coffee table. He drives his Matchbox cars to whatever country (continent, ocean, body of water, etc.) I tell him. For some reason, he really enjoys it, and he's learned a lot from it.

There are also these cool jigsaw puzzles by continent that might help. http://www.amazon.com/GeoToys-4102371-GeoPuzzle-Europe/dp/B000K3A1JW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT11?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2FDT1T53Z4JC2&colid=KN8HELBUQY03

We haven't gotten any yet, but they're on my Amazon wishlist. (And I saw some of them in my local Barnes & Noble recently.)

I like the idea of drawing the map as well, but I want to wait until his motor skills are just a little more developed to avoid massive amounts of frustration.