Menu

For those of you who have had to file Paypal claims...

What was your experience like once the claim was filed?

I really hate being in a situation where this seems to be imminent. I have happily purchased used curriculum from other moms for years without any incidences. Unfortunately, I've hit some bad luck of late. I had one package tear causing the loss of 2/3 of the content. That seller was incredibly gracious and refunded part of the cost. My current situation, though, is with a seller that took $50 for a set of SL readers (at another board) on April 29th and apparently has still not even mailed the package. At first there was car trouble, then the promise, "they'll be in the mail today." That was May 17. After not receiving them, I emailed again at the beginning of this month only to get an email back that they hadn't mailed. The seller had gone through some family issues that had caused financial difficulties and depression. She had apparently neglected sending many items and is in quite a hole re: paypal.

While I feel that there have been an awful lot of excuses, I also know that she could have just told me the items were mailed and she wasn't responsible for their loss if she really wanted to lie to me. She did respond to my email with a promise of sending them "tomorrow" and emailing me the delivery confirmation number. That tomorrow was about a week ago and I haven't heard back. I sent a "just checking in..." email the other night, but haven't heard anything. I opened a dispute on June 10th just in case I would need to file a claim. I'd hoped we'd be able to work it out together, but now am thinking I will end up being forced to file the claim before my 20 days are up. I have tried to be patient, but know that I must be wise as well.

So, if you've had to go through this process, is it likely to be resolved in a timely manner once the claim is filed? I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever see the books or the cash again. :crying:

Dawn

Dawn,

I have and it was easy and painless. Make sure you file within the alotted time frame. I let the seller know that I was going to go ahead and file the claim even thought the seller kept assuring me she/he would mail the pkg soon. I told him/her that I needed to file just in case. Once you file, paypal then emails the seller. The seller has so many days to respond. It is up to the seller to show proof that the package was mailed. In one case, the seller never responded back to paypal. The other case, the seller did not have a receipt for mailing the pkg. Both cases, paypal refunded the amt to my acct. Both cases were settled in less than a week.

Yes, I've done this and it was fairly fast. Paypal refunded my money. If it's getting close to the time frame allowed, I'd go ahead & file a claim. I think you've given plenty of time IMO. I'm not sure what the time limit is, but I think it's like 45 days or something like that, but if you wait until the limit is up you'll have no recourse.

I recently, last month, had a similiar situation where I needed to return materials since they had clearly been photocopied. The lady was gracious and said she would refund the money by an agreed upon date. The date came and there was no refund. Paypal was great. They encouraged me to try one more time to resolve with the lady and then file. I did email and she sent the refund. Whew! I felt that paypal had my back. If it were me I would consider telling the seller at this point, since you don't have the items, you no longer want them and will be going through Paypal for a refund. You can certainely be very understanding of the hard times she has fallen upon but let her know you needed the items by such and such a date and you can't wait any longer. Encourage her to relist and maybe by the time someone else is interested she will have her life back in working order:) If you agree on a date that you need to receive them or you will go through paypal, make sure it falls within the time that you can still dispute in case the items never are sent. This definelty is such a hassle to deal with! I know it caused me quite a bit of stress until everything was resolved. I'm sorry you are having a similiar situation. I never had any issues from sellers and I have bought lots of stuff from curriculum boards. One experience like that and all the hassle involved to get things straightened out makes you think about buying again. However, I can happily say, I have overcome the momentary fear of being taken advantage of and have been purchasing like crazy once again:001_smile:

I had to file a claim once. I purchased an ebay item that was supposed to be NIP. When I received it, the package was open and it was missing a piece. The seller was *nice* via email, told me to return it and she'd return the $$. Then she claimed I'd returned an old item rather than the one she sent, so she wasn't returning the $$. I filed with Paypal and got the $$ back. Took a few weeks, but I did get it back. (It was a sweet victory too!)

Thanks so much! You have all encouraged me greatly. I think I will send her another email to let her know I will be filing the claim tomorrow and just do so. I am sympathetic to her plight, but need to resolve this and move on.

Thanks again!

Dawn