Menu

Total Health High School by Susan Boe

Has anybody used Total Health (high school) by Susan Boe? http://www.exodusbooks.com/category.aspx?id=3492

If so, what did you think? I'm thinking of using it when my son is 9th grade. He is currently 7th grade but shows no interest in girls so I think the dating/sex parts would be better suited for in a couple years.

Do I really need the teacher book? It is so expensive! Also, there is a packet available for purchase here: http://www.basicskills.net/Health_Packet.html, but I don't know exactly if it is worth it - maybe in lieu of the teacher book?

Thanks for any input,

Angela

I used this with my youngest 2 boys last year (grades 9 and 10). I did not purchase the teacher book. I assigned readings and then we discussed some of them. Even though your son shows no interest - at this time - in the opposite sex, I think you should go ahead and do the sexuality sections. You may be surprised at what is going on in his head. I think it is best to have addressed the issue before the issue is an issue :). We had some frank discussions and I discovered things that were going on inside my boys' heads that I did not know they were dealing with. They just needed the opening that the readings provided to bring up the subject. This is the time of their lives in which they can change over night! We used the textbooks in a way that worked for us - I didn't have the boys do all the writing assignments. Instead we did a lot of individual discussion.

ETA: I just noticed your son is currently in 7th. You will be fine to wait until 9th for the high school level book. There is a junior high version available as well, but I haven't seen it.

I used this with my youngest 2 boys last year (grades 9 and 10). I did not purchase the teacher book. I assigned readings and then we discussed some of them. Even though your son shows no interest - at this time - in the opposite sex, I think you should go ahead and do the sexuality sections. You may be surprised at what is going on in his head. I think it is best to have addressed the issue before the issue is an issue :). We had some frank discussions and I discovered things that were going on inside my boys' heads that I did not know they were dealing with. They just needed the opening that the readings provided to bring up the subject. This is the time of their lives in which they can change over night! We used the textbooks in a way that worked for us - I didn't have the boys do all the writing assignments. Instead we did a lot of individual discussion.

ETA: I just noticed your son is currently in 7th. You will be fine to wait until 9th for the high school level book. There is a junior high version available as well, but I haven't seen it.

Thank you!