Menu

LG student bored with Tapestry year 3

juliecram

Hi! I am hoping someone has an idea that will work.

I am doing my first year of TOG with my 3 children (ages 13, 12 and 8.5). My 13 year old LOVES it and enjoys all the reading. My 12 dd is okay with it, but doesn't love it, but she isn't one that enjoys reading. My 8.5 year old ds is VERY bored with it. He shows no interest in the history books, and doesn't appear to be taking much in. I am nervous because technically he is supposed to be moving up to Upper Grammar level next year, but I don't see it working for him. (He is a mid-2nd grade reading level)

Any suggestions on how to make it work for him?

Thanks!

I have a LG in year 3 this year also. We are finishing up unit 3 right now. I honestly find some of the LG books a bit too much, too factual, too dull for that level. I have been subbing in historical fiction choices and some picture book biographies and fiction.

I also start skipping some of it as I read aloud to him. Today we did the book about laying 10 miles of railroad track in one day. The topic in and of itself was neat. My LG student was not interested in how much every single beam weighed and on and on. I skipped some details and kept the storyline flowing.

In the civil war topics, I added in the Magic Treehouse Civil War book, a neat new picture book I found about Harriet Tubman at the library, etc. My LG doesn't mind the quantity of books at all, but on and on with the factual is just too slow for him. He wants more to fire the imagination. When my oldest was this age, we did Sonlight. The differences in book choices are striking. I have looked back at what I did with Sonlight at this age, and put in those books or those types of books.

Edited by WeeBeaks

Thanks so much for the reply. Sounds like we are just a week ahead of you. We did Sonlight for the past two years and the kids loved it. I am thinking of heading back that route for the two youngest next year with my oldest continuing in Tapestry. But, at times I just think I haven't given TOG a fair shake.

I think I will try out your idea and substitute some different books. Something besides just facts.

Julie

I'm leaving Sonlight for TOG, but am definitely going to use Sonlight's wonderful list of historical fiction. I love the organization and outline of TOG though. So, I've made a list of Sonlight books and their time/place and what grade levels they were recommended for and I'm going to go off of that to add in books to liven up TOG.