Menu

Ordinary Parent's Guide, then CLE LTR? Redundant?

alisoncooks

If I were to do OPGtTR for Kindergarten (5yo), would doing CLE's 1st grade LTR/phonics program be boring or redundant (with it's gentle start and basic phonics)?

Or would it be okay b/c of CLE's inclusion of actual WRITING with the phonics/etc...? (Boring or a confidence booster?)

Thoughts? I'm interested in trying OPG for the remainder of this year (DD is weak on some letters/sounds) before starting CLE in the fall (already purchased, so that's non-negotiable).

TIA!

Well, after doing some more reading, it looks like it takes quite a while to work through Ordinary Parents Guide....

So, I guess, new question: would it be a good source to help DD learn letter sounds more firmly? And could I either continue on alongside CLE LTR or up until that point (6 solid months of it or so)?

Any suggestions? Should I just skip OPGTR?

Hi there,

I started with Hoooked on Phonics and LOVED it...BUT I found that my DD was awesome at reading, but couldn't match up with the writing.

So what we did was at 5 years old, we started CLE Learning to Read, just LTR on its own. We spread it out over 1 year.

Then this year - now she is Grade 1 (we start school year in January). We are doing CLE Grade 1 Reading and CLE Grade 1 Language Arts.

CLE LTR worked brilliantly for us.

I wouldn't do anything with it. The Teacher's Guide gives you step by step what to do and you really don't need anything else.

Good Luck

Sherid