Menu

History Quandry

m0mmaBuck

I started HS'ing DS midway thru 2nd grade and DD has been tagging along with history since SOTW1. This next year she will start 1st grade and I'd like to start her with SOTW1 and biology.... But DS's history cycle is "off" and he should be going into SOTW4.

In my head, it would be easier to skip SOTW4 and start over with SOTW1 for both of them. I could do life science for DD and biology for DS. However, that would mean skipping out on modern history for 4 more years. Is that going to be an issue for DS in the long run? Could I just have him read through SOTW4 as part of his independent reading or would that be too confusing for him (SOTW1 with us and SOTW4 on his own)? Or maybe have him read through SOTW4 over the summer (granted, not as rich as going through it with the AG but better than skipping it all together)?

Or should I just suck it up and run 2 separate curriculums for their history?

You could even get the CDs and play them in the car this summer. I have heard that SOTW 4 is written at a higher level and deals with more difficult topics. I know several families that tried to start it but it didn't hold the interest of the children. I don't think there is any harm done if you don't do this period right now. But, if you want to cover it, the CDs would be a good option.

You could even get the CDs and play them in the car this summer. I have heard that SOTW 4 is written at a higher level and deals with more difficult topics. I know several families that tried to start it but it didn't hold the interest of the children. I don't think there is any harm done if you don't do this period right now. But, if you want to cover it, the CDs would be a good option.

Thank you for that suggestion. I could get the book so DS could follow along in the text while listening to the CD. It has been my experience that he pays better attention to audiobooks when he can follow along visually as well.

I was going to suggest the same thing...Have him read it over the summer, or listen to it in the car, but our experience has been that the Vol. 4 audio is hard to listen to for the little ones. My ds 10 is very interested, but my dd6 complains, so we never get very far. With all the others, though, she never wants me to turn them off...so it's definitely a #4 issue.

I was going to suggest the same thing...Have him read it over the summer, or listen to it in the car, but our experience has been that the Vol. 4 audio is hard to listen to for the little ones. My ds 10 is very interested, but my dd6 complains, so we never get very far. With all the others, though, she never wants me to turn them off...so it's definitely a #4 issue.

DS is 10 so hopefully it will keep his attention long enough for us to get through it while we are driving to and fro over the summer.