Menu

Planning for next year: What else do I need? Where are my weak spots?

m0mmaBuck

I've been home sick today while DH took the kids to the natural history museum. So what's a HS mom to do? Why, plan next year's curriculum of course! Thoughts?

DD: 1st grade

Spelling: finish CLE LTR

SWO A

Grammar: FLL I and II

Handwriting: HWOT and possibly the Complete Writer

Math: Finish CLE 100, CLE 200 ($40)

History: SOTW I

Science: Life science: Animals, Human Beings, and Plants ala WTM

Latin: Song School Latin with coloring pages

Art: Artistic Pursuits, Drawing with Children

Music: Pianimals, Piano Adventures

DS-5th grade

Logic: Building Thinking Skills 2

Math: CLE 500

History: SOTW4 or SOTW1 with DD

Spelling/Grammar/Vocab/Writing: LLATL

Writing: Writing Strands 3

Science: Biology per WTM p 390-392, starting with "Creepy Crawlies and the Scientific Method" and lots of experiments

Latin: Latina Christiana

Spanish: any suggestions welcome.... I have no idea.

Art: Artistic Pursuits, Drawing with Children, Watercolors for the Artistically Undiscovered

It looks good to me. I assume you are having the kids do something for PE.

Yes. DD does Scottish Highland Dancing. DS does football in the fall and both kids do baseball in the spring with our HS group. Both kids rock climb at our local gym 1-3 times/wk. And we go bowling and roller skating 1-3 times/mo/activity. I guess I just count those as extracurriculars.

Looks great! If you want to simplify your life, put both dc in SOTW 1 and take a look at Elemental Science Biology for grammar and logic stages.

For Spanish, my dad used Rosetta Stone for my 6th and 9th grade sister and brother last year. He said it was expensive, but worth it. CAP, publishers of SSL, have a Spanish program you may want to look at if you haven't already. We use their LfC and love it:). Latin alone would be enough, though, if you want to forgo Spanish.

Unless your kids are really artsy, you may want to drop one of the art programs. Harmony Fine Arts' 4th grade program schedules Drawing With Children as well as art appreciation and composer studies. Other levels schedule different levels of Artistic Pursuits (grade 5 covers ancient arts to go along with SOTW 1).

Have a great year!

Looks great! If you want to simplify your life, put both dc in SOTW 1 and take a look at Elemental Science Biology for grammar and logic stages.

For Spanish, my dad used Rosetta Stone for my 6th and 9th grade sister and brother last year. He said it was expensive, but worth it. CAP, publishers of SSL, have a Spanish program you may want to look at if you haven't already. We use their LfC and love it:). Latin alone would be enough, though, if you want to forgo Spanish.

Unless your kids are really artsy, you may want to drop one of the art programs. Harmony Fine Arts' 4th grade program schedules Drawing With Children as well as art appreciation and composer studies. Other levels schedule different levels of Artistic Pursuits (grade 5 covers ancient arts to go along with SOTW 1).

Have a great year!

With Elemental Science, is the lapbooking a must? It's just not my thing. Can't get into it.

With Re: to Spanish, I was considering just ramping up our Latin (we've been pretty loose with it this year in lieu of adding another language but I'm concerned that waiting to start Spanish will make it harder in the long run. I've been looking at Spanish for Children as well as Escucha y Hablemos!Hm.. I copied and pasted and it changed everything with my font. Anyway... Does anyone know anything about the latter?

Re: art, Artistic Pursuits makes me a little looney. Many times the kids have no interest in doing the project they are supposed to do and they just end up drawing or painting instead. So maybe I should just do Drawing with Children and the artist studies and let them do other projects on the side as they choose. Thanks!

DS-5th grade

Logic: Building Thinking Skills 2

Math: CLE 500

History: SOTW4 or SOTW1 with DD

Spelling/Grammar/Vocab/Writing: LLATL

Writing: Writing Strands 3

Science: Biology per WTM p 390-392, starting with "Creepy Crawlies and the Scientific Method" and lots of experiments

Latin: Latina Christiana

Spanish: any suggestions welcome.... I have no idea.

Art: Artistic Pursuits, Drawing with Children, Watercolors for the Artistically Undiscovered

Hi, my oldest started 5th grade in January. So, I'm still trying to figure things out, too.

Building Thinking Skills - my kids didn't like this at all. Bummer, because it was expensive. I also felt bad making them work on it, because it felt like busy work. We ended up buying Red Herring Mysteries, which is also suggested in TWTM. It's kind of like a book full of critical thinking riddles. They prefer this over BTS. :glare: One of the good things about BTS, however...it has those exercises where they circle opposites, synonyms, etc...and those were great.

OK, history/writing. Are you following TWTM for logic stage history and writing? You could beef up the history. My daughter is also listening to SOTW 1, but she's doing supplemental reading and notebooking from Kingfisher History Encyclopedia. Also, did you look at Writing with Skill or The Creative Writer? We started TCW and we are having a blast (we're doing it together)! I was afraid it would be too difficult, but it seems to be right at the 5th grade level.

I envy your science and art. :thumbup1: You're definitely beating us in the music department, too.

So, you're looking for Spanish... My son asked to start Spanish a few months ago. We ended up going with Rosetta Stone. I'm not sure how complete it is, but at this point, I was just going for exposure. He seems to know a LOT of vocab (which surprised me). I told him that he might have to just take an enrichment Spanish class later. Post back if you find an incredible Spanish program for people who don't speak Spanish. :D