Menu

Shurley minus the writing = KISS?

I'll bite :D I have used Shurley with dd since the beginning (without the writing). I have been looking at KISS for the past couple of days, and I think I agree with your assessment. I am seriously thinking of using it with ds instead of Shurley. KISS looks harder, but has the same style for identifying parts of speech. It has the added bonus of being easy to accelerate or slow down (at least that was the idea I got from the samples I looked at). I love Shurley, but sometimes I feel like I am plowing the same field over and over each year and only moving forward a tiny bit. I have been reading the large KISS threads on the board. Maybe someone from one of those threads can be a bit more enlightening about the similarities and differences in the programs.

The one big difference between KISS grammar and other grammar books is that KISS teaches analysis of real sentences from literature and from students' own writing. Just because KISS and other programs all start with underlining the subject once and verb twice and marking prepositions first doesn't mean that KISS is using the same approach.

Dr. Vavra's main objective in teaching grammar is to improve the students' writing. Only when they see the errors in their own writing (either from incorrect syntax or usage) and compare their sentences to those of their peers/classmates, will they realize how and where their sentence structure needs tweaking.

Read the paper On Not Teaching Grammar by Dr Vavra to understand his approach and how it differs from other grammar programs.

Edited by nansk
Spelling.