Menu

I need an idea for a

co-op class. I know, I know most of you on here are sort of anti-coop, but this one has been working really well for my family for over a year. :001_smile: I am currently teaching a Magic Tree House class and World Geography, but neither one is a ready made curriculum and I am spending a ton of time lesson planning. I prefer to teach the younger crowd, anywhere from 1-4th grades. I really want to find something that is more open and go, or at least something that has ideas all in one place. I was going to do Cantering the Country, but someone beat me to it. Ideas??

co-op class. I know, I know most of you on here are sort of anti-coop, but this one has been working really well for my family for over a year. :001_smile: I am currently teaching a Magic Tree House class and World Geography, but neither one is a ready made curriculum and I am spending a ton of time lesson planning. I prefer to teach the younger crowd, anywhere from 1-4th grades. I really want to find something that is more open and go, or at least something that has ideas all in one place. I was going to do Cantering the Country, but someone beat me to it. Ideas??

what age group?

The classes my co-op offers for that age group That I looked for were PE and music.

Here, I copied the class descriptions we have for this spring for early elementary (k-2)

American Girl Adventures

Girls, come join us on an American girl adventure. We will study several of the American girls and their traditions. We will make fun crafts, read books, watch a DVD and finally end with a wonderful tea party with the dolls. We will also learn of some Godly Christian girls of the past and how they lived for Christ. We look forward to having you in our class for a fun learning experience. You are encouraged to bring any of your favorite dolls with you.

Cost: $28

Materials to bring: Bring a craft box with scissors, glue, pencils, crayons, etc.

Exploring Famous Americans

Travel back in time with us as we explore famous Americans in history. We will learn about the lives of George Washington, Amelia Earhart, Walt Disney, Florence Nightingale, Abraham Lincoln, and Neil Armstrong; and discover the important contributions they made. We will bring history alive through stories, crafts, games, and snacks.

Cost: $21

Materials to bring: Students will need to bring a labeled craft box with pencils, crayons, scissors, and glue sticks.

Fuzzy Furry Farm Friends

Welcome to Fuzzy Furry Farm Friends! Each week your child will explore farm life by engaging in exciting fiction and non fiction read alouds, and learn about farm animals and what products they provide for our families. We will complete simple science experiments, art projects, play games, and sing songs. What fun we will have on the farm!

Materials to bring: Students will need scissors, crayons, colored pencils, pencils, and glue sticks.

RoadTrip USA!

Join us on an exciting adventure learning about the USA! We'll travel to the Northeast and Southeast, along with Alaska and Hawaii. We'll discover things unique to each state, including symbols, animals, presidents, famous people, landmarks, food, and geography. We'll also learn history along the way, beginning with The Constitution, Declaration of Independence, and Revolutionary War. Then, we'll move south to learn more about The Civil War and Underground Railroad. So grab your Travel Logs, pack your bags, and let's take a road trip!

Cost: $35

Materials to bring: None

Zoom Science

In Zoom Science, we will do hands-on experiments in chemistry, engineering, force and motion, and more. Then we will learn basic science concepts from our experiments. Some of our experiments will be edible and may not be suitable for certain allergies.

Materials to bring: Please bring a backpack and the provided notebook to each class. Some classes will be messy so children will need to wear old clothes or bring a smock or oversized old shirt.

Creative Hands, Minds, and Hearts

We will explore with our hands different mediums for coloring and drawing using finger paints, markers, water colors, crayons, etc. We will also explore with our minds creative stories during circle reading time. Lastly, we will explore with our hearts God’s creativeness through His Word. A time designed for fun learning and easy growing through our unique God given creativity.

Cost: $20

Materials to bring: Students will need a backpack with an art smock or an old T-shirt for each class. We plan to get messy with art.

Fun with Math...and More!

Fun with Math...AND MORE! is a perfect class for children who love to play board games. Participants will have an opportunity to learn and reinforce basic math skills through board games, movement, music, life sized games, unique math crafts... AND MORE! Skills covered include patterns, graphing, measuring, symmetry...AND MORE! Come play Battleship, Mastermind, Labyrinth, Monopoly Jr., Checkers... AND MORE!

Cost: $40

Materials to bring: Each child will be required to bring one of their favorite board games to SEEK each week. There will be occasional requests for common household items needed for crafts, such as a 2 quart orange juice or milk carton.

Kids Around The World

Let us introduce your child to kids in faraway lands-kids that are a lot like them, though they may speak a different language or wear different clothes. The biggest difference is that most of these kids haven't heard about Jesus or God's love. In each class your child will learn about the geography, language, art, games, foods, and prayer needs of the 12 people groups we are studying. They will watch a 10 minute video to introduce them to each group's culture. The last class will involve eating foods from each people group. We will need to know if any food allergies exist in order to accommodate appropriately.

Cost: $30

Materials to bring: Students will need a pack of 24 crayons and kid scissors to be left in class.

Literature Fun and Adventure

Does your child love to settle in and listen to a good book? Join us this semester as we explore 13 best-loved storybooks from Five in a Row. Not only will we be reading a new book each class but we will have wonderful crafts and games to enhance our learning. We will tie in Biblical themes for each story, discuss Christian character and learn about where the stories take place. We'll even enjoy a few tasty treats along the way! Your child will never look at "Madeline" the same way again!

Cost: $31

Materials to bring: Students will need a book bag with some basic art supplies such as crayons, scissors, and glue.

More of God's Amazing Animals

We will continue to have fun this semester studying more of God's amazing animals! Each lesson will relate facts about our featured animal to a particular Bible verse. As we learn more about God's fascinating animals, which He created, we will learn more about God and how He wants us to live. We'll read exciting stories, memorize scripture with motions, do crafts, and much more. Feel free to bring your favorite stuffed animal to join us in class! We will be studying different animals from the last semester allowing anyone who is interested to join in.

Cost: $25

Materials to bring: Crayons

These classes don't have homework.

More to come!

Then here are the elementary classes: (3-5 grades)

Atelier Art

We will be using Atelier DVD based art curriculum to explore painting, drawing, sketching and using clay. Join us as we learn to appreciate various artists and also have lots of fun learning some of their famous techniques. Get to know Georgia O'Keeffe and paint giant flowers; Joan Miro and make Miro-like paintings; and Henri Matisse and paint "The Purple Robe". Create the Polar Express and learn about shape. We will also make our families in clay and create the "Stormy Rainy Day".

Cost: $38

Materials to bring: NONE. All materials are provided. All products are allergy free.

Homework: NONE

Eat Your Way Through the USA

Why don’t they serve grits in North Dakota? What exactly is a Maid-Rite sandwich? Why would anyone order a “grinder� Our guidebook, “Eat Your Way Through the USA,†will help us uncover the regional oddities of our country’s food and culture. We’ll study local history, geography, and cuisine from sea to shining to sea. Each week we’ll sample various foods and explore the culinary customs of our great nation.

Cost: $48

Materials to bring: Students will need a pen or pencil, and a full water bottle with their own drink.

Homework: 30-60 minutes each week of online or library research; 2-3 hours during the course of the semester for research and cooking for a final project.

Hands-On Equations

Hands-On Equations uses manipulative pawns and cubes to take the students through beginning algebraic concepts. We will be focusing on problem solving and reinforcing multiplication facts through interactive games, puzzles and brain teasers. This class requires familiarity with multiplication facts. Our aim is to make math fun! Each child will get to take home their own Hands On-Equations kit at the end of the semester.

Cost: $26

Materials to bring: Pencil

Homework: None

Intro to Hockey

Back by popular demand, the Intro to Hockey class will be instructing both boy and girl students in this fun, fast-paced game. Fundamental skills of the game such as passing, shooting, positional play, and goal tending will be taught. Teamwork and good sportsmanship will be stressed.

Cost: $58

Materials to bring: None

Our Great United States

Come and take a tour of our great United States! During this semester, we will be exploring the eight economic regions of the USA. Each week we will focus on one or two states from a particular region. Find out what makes those states unique by getting an in depth look at the history of the state, as well as learning about fun and interesting facts, special features,and natural wonders and monuments. We will also fine tune our mapping skills as we work on different maps each week. Let’s have fun together traveling from coast to coast!

Cost: $38

Materials to bring: Materials for the class will be provided. An email will be sent if any additional items need to be provided by the parent.

Homework: Your child will have weekly homework worksheets, totaling one hour a week, and one project near the end of the semester. We may occasionally do projects in class that will require finishing at home.

Puppetpalooza

Ever wondered what it takes to make a puppet show? In this class, we’ll learn about the basics of puppetry and performing. Different kinds of puppetry will also be explored and we’ll even make some puppets relating to what we learn. We’ll also get your creative juices flowing and write and perform our own skits in class!

Cost: $43

Materials to bring: Puppets to work with in class. Puppets will be provided to students at the beginning of the semester.

Homework: Practice with your puppet for 15 minutes a day. Later in the semester students will be writing puppet scripts which will need to be written and practiced at home to be performed in class.

American Girl History

Come explore American History with The American Girls! Find out what it was like to be a girl your age in six different time periods. We will walk alongside Felicity, Josefina, Kirsten, Addy, Samantha, and Molly to learn about the historical events of their time. We will read American Girl books and share what we learn with the class. We will participate in a play about each girl, and have weekly centers (maps, timelines, food, crafts) with activities from their time periods. On the last day of class, you can bring your favorite doll or stuffed animal for a tea party as we celebrate all we have learned!

Cost: $39

Materials to bring: Students will need a pen or pencil and a set of colored pencils or crayons.

Homework: Students will need to study, not memorize, their part in the script of our plays. They will also need to read American Girl books and complete a short book report to share with the class.

Detective Science

Search for evidence, gather clues, and discover how science can help solve a mystery. From dusting for fingerprints to analyzing handwriting, get a first-hand look at how detectives and forensic scientists use science to solve real-life crimes. Some of the fun things in store this semester are identifying lip prints left on a glass, examining hair and clothing fibers, and practicing chemistry to identify mystery substances. In no time at all, you’ll be thinking like a detective and performing experiments like a real forensic scientist!

Cost: $18

Materials to bring: Students will need a simple folder to keep papers together during the semester.

Physical Education Fun!

Join our team as we play and get fit together! Volleyball, basketball and good old fashioned playground games are all on the game schedule. Our team scoreboard will keep track of our combined fitness progress to determine if our class will win the gold. We'll also explore the ultimate sportsmanship manual...the Bible...to see what God has to say about being a good sport. Team requirements: Desire to play hard, have fun and cheer your teammates on.

Cost: $23

Materials to bring: Each week every student needs to wear comfortable clothes and athletic shoes, and bring a water bottle.

Homework: On occasion there may be minimal reading concerning sports rules. No more than 10 minutes for the week.

Road Trip Through the West

Join us as we set off to explore the Western USA. We will travel through each state to learn their history and heritage and make some stops at must-see destinations along the way. Each student will collect stamps or punches as we travel through the states and play a big board game similar to Destination USA.

Cost: $36

Materials to bring: Students will need markers, colored pencils, scissors, a glue stick and a provided student atlas.

Homework: There will be a small amount of homework each week and individual projects that require some research to be presented to the class.

Space Explorers

Get ready for a great adventure as we blast off to explore God’s creations in outer space. Did you know that there is a planet that rains diamonds? How many moons does Jupiter really have? Do sunspots actually affect the weather on Earth? Based on Jeannie Fulbright’s Apologia Exploring Creation with Astronomy, we will discover answers to these questions and many more. The class will include many hands-on experiments and a semester project.

Cost: $23

Materials to bring: Students will need a water bottle and a pencil.

Homework: There will be a semester project.

The Journal Journey

Calling all artists, writers, scientists, inventors, mathematicians, poets, cartoonists, designers, historians, travelers, musicians and creative big thinkers! We want to invite you on a journey of discovery. This adventure will include an introduction to bookmaking and journaling...but it doesn't stop there! You will create many different types of handmade books in class that you may use in your own unique ways for projects, presents, portfolios, sketch books, prayer journals--the list is endless! Each week we will introduce a new exciting way to use these amazing books. So come, be inspired, and share your amazing talents with us. Be a part of the journey that captures your creative ideas for a lifetime!

Materials to bring: Students will need sharp scissors, 2 glue sticks, and colored pencils.

Homework: Journal entry or activity will take 30-45 minutes each week. These activities will not be solely writing, but will also include sketching, painting, and more.

The classes my co-op offers for that age group That I looked for were PE and music.

Here, I copied the class descriptions we have for this spring for early elementary (k-2)

These classes don't have homework.

More to come!

WOW!! I want to come to your co-op! These look great!!

what age group?

I've done a class using Five in a Row books. There are 3 volumes and for each book there's all sorts of suggestions to do art, cooking, geography, crafting centered on the theme of the book.

One example:

How to Bake an Apple Pie and See the World

- make apple pies!

- Apple stamping art

- Take field trip to an Apple Orchard

- Learn about apple tress, apple varieties, etc.

I like doing this because it's enough of a variety to keep everyone interested from week to week. Pick your book, pick your art & learning point, do something fun!

Not all FIAR books are available, but you can check your library and just use the ones that are there--or ask the mom's in the coop to check their shelves.

WOW!! I want to come to your co-op! These look great!!

I do enjoy our co-op. :001_smile:

The middle and high school classes are getting more academic. The board noticed they were losing a lot of high schoolers to outside classes and then the family as well. Oldest dd is taking British Lit this year and middle dd is taking a health class.