Menu

student resume...

Thank you for answering my many, many questions. I have actually completed the transcript, course descriptions page, and reading list for a college visit in two weeks. Last - I hope:hurray: - is my son's resume. It has sections for (1) honors & achievements (2) leadership (3) job experience (4) community service. Am I missing anything? Under honors & achievements I have a couple of questions...

If the student wins multiple level of a competition (ie. local, regional, district) then goes on to place - but not win - at a higher level, do you list all the levels?

For example: Won local, regional and district level of x competition.

Placed third at the state level.... or something like that?

Is it appropriate to include that your student won scholarships for these contests? Right now I'm just including a brief "scholarship awarded" but with no dollar amounts. Should I include that at all?

Thanks again,

Tracie

Thank you for answering my many, many questions. I have actually completed the transcript, course descriptions page, and reading list for a college visit in two weeks. Last - I hope:hurray: - is my son's resume. It has sections for (1) honors & achievements (2) leadership (3) job experience (4) community service. Am I missing anything? Under honors & achievements I have a couple of questions...

If the student wins multiple level of a competition (ie. local, regional, district) then goes on to place - but not win - at a higher level, do you list all the levels?

For example: Won local, regional and district level of x competition.

Placed third at the state level.... or something like that?

Is it appropriate to include that your student won scholarships for these contests? Right now I'm just including a brief "scholarship awarded" but with no dollar amounts. Should I include that at all?

Thanks again,

Tracie

Sorry - no help. But if I may add another question. Regarding the bolded, what do you do when an activity falls into several of those categories? Do you mention it in each one? Or do you pick the one for which you have the least and put it there? :tongue_smilie: Or does one of those categories, like leadership, carry more weight?

I can't think of much that would fall under multiple catagories. My son serves on a board of directors for our local bluegrass association, so that will go under leadership and -maybe- community service also. Most community services hours are volunteer things that wouldn't go under anything else. Leadership is usually an elected position, not an assumed role. Honors/achievements are all various contest results. Job experience... well, for my son its all volunteer internships.

On my son's "resume" - well, we actually called it our "Interview Packet" that we gave each interviewer that included one page with our home school philosophy at the top and "Why We Chose to Homeschool" at the bottom. Every interviewer immediately turned to that page and discussed it positively with my son. We also had on the last page questions we wanted to ask the interviewer, if time permitted. Also one page listed his senior coursework that he was currently doing. We did these pages to help out my son in case he got nervous in the interview he could turn to his copy of the packet and let it help jog his memory. Of course, the packet had the other pages you mentioned in your post. Oh, yes - I almost forgot your other question - the order of listing achievements, honors, etc. We did ours from most "impressive" on down - regardless of dates!

Good Luck,

Myra

Edited by Myra

I can't think of much that would fall under multiple catagories. My son serves on a board of directors for our local bluegrass association, so that will go under leadership and -maybe- community service also. Most community services hours are volunteer things that wouldn't go under anything else. Leadership is usually an elected position, not an assumed role. Honors/achievements are all various contest results. Job experience... well, for my son its all volunteer internships.

So it sounds like if it meets two categories that you would then list it under both. It's possible to receive an award for a leadership position within a volunteer organization - I guess I was thinking something along these lines.