Menu

Any BJU Science people - questions...

Shelly in IL

i am looking at Life Science (gr. 7) and Grade 3 for my sons. What exactly do I need to order. If I look in Rainbow Resources, it makes it seem like you need to order each piece individually (for about$223 for Lfe and $125 for 3rd), but online on Home Science Tools, It makes it look like I only need to order the "Kit" and that is complete with everything I need. Please help me with exact items (and yes, I am planning to order the Lab materials - how fun!

Is there anywhere to order this less expensively? Thanks

We have used Home Science Tools for years and been happy with the kits. All you'll need are normal household supplies like tape, paper towel roll, etc.

I had one thought. If you're 7th grader does life science, I would pick an elementary life science curriculum for third to make life easy. Abeka (Abeka has a life science focus in the early years), Apologia, or Nature Friend/Ranger Rick magazine are all possibilities. Another great choice for third is the ScienceWorks series by Evan-Moor: Plants, Animals With Backbones, Animals Without Backbone.

Have a fun year!

Yup - maybe buy one zoology and one botany and alternate lessons from each. You could also roughly coordinate them with BJU Life Science, if you like to do that sort of thing.

Also, if you go to the Evan-Moor site, you can view the ScienceWorks titles in their entirety. These are hands-on, engaging, and easy to teach. ScienceWorks titles could also be roughly correlated with BJU Life.

Perhaps the third grader could also observe or participate in the BJU some of the 7th grade experiments if he wants. Small, selected portions of the BJU Life could also be a read-aloud with both kids.

Have fun!

As another idea, you might get the HomeSat lessons from BJU to teach that science 7. Several people around here have said they either used them or were glad or didn't and kicked themselves. Then you'd be free to teach the science3. If you do the science3, it's a semester or twice a week course (daily for a semester or twice a week for a year), so you'd still have time to weave in some other things if you want. The BJU science is VERY good, highly recommend. Starting with level 3 it's very meaty and worthwhile. I like doing other things too, but I think of the BJU science as a way to build a foundation for dd to go into the BJU upper level sciences comfortably. And you can bet I'm thinking HomeSat come those upper grades! :)

Shelly,

They mean the DVD's (video classes) that go along with BJU Science. They are only available at BJU and come in either hard drive or as DVD's.

The other way to get the video classes is through the homesat system which involves buying and installing a special satellite and paying a monthly fee to subscribe to classes. That costs a lot more than buying one class, so it is more for families that want to take a lot of video classes.

The science video classes are wonderful. My kids did 5th and 3rd last year and LOVED them - one of their favorite courses to study.