Menu

Trying to think ahead to the possibility of public school

Still not certain we'll go this route, but it is a possibility that both our kids will return to ps next term. For our youngest, this seems a scarier step for myriad reasons, not the least of which are her learning differences. Her issues are mild. I'm not even certain she'd qualify for an IEP, and I'm pretty certain the school may fight us on that no matter what (basing this on what other parents I know have been through).

But, here's the question -- given the mild nature of what dd11 is dealing with, would there be reason to think it would be better to let her go in without any special services, to see how she measures up, before investigating an IEP or whatever they're called (the terminology is not my strength)? I fear the negative impact of watching her struggle or fall behind, but I'm not actually sure that she would, kwim?

Not sure if anyone here can address this for me because it relates to a school situation, but I figured it was worth a shot.

TIA,

Have you tested her using whatever standardized test your state/district uses? I think you could get a fairly accurate measure of how she'll perform. If she tests well, you may feel some security that she'll be "okay". If not, you'll have a document to present the school district illustrating a need for an IEP. Just a thought.