Menu

Scheduling history for first grade

sditz1

I am not sure how I want to schedule history for first grade. I am considering doing both World history (SOTW) and US history. I am thinking 2 days of World and 2 days of US or 1/2 year of world and 1/2 US. Any thoughts on this? Or any other options for scheduling.

Thanks

Edited by sditz1

For first grade, I'd recommend choosing one or the other since there will be plenty of time to complete both.

If you choose world history, SOTW is wonderfully easy to schedule. The activity book guides you. We used to read one day, do map work another, and an activity/extra reading from the suggestions on another day. It worked well for us to do history 3x/week. Some choose to do it 2 days or 4 days. It's really what you are comfortable with.

For American History, there are some great curriculums out there that are already scheduled for you. Beautiful Feet Early American is what we are doing this year, and it's been a lot of fun.

I do SOTW V1 with my six year olds. We use it three days a week (MWF). We read one or two days while they color the maps and activities and one day is project day. I don't see me being able to cram in any other history in addition without sacrificing our science time on tuesdays and thursdays. At this age, I approach it as more for exposure. I am not obsessive with memorization of facts or dates but more focused on nurturing a love for learning. It is definitely one of our "fun" times and not as serious as say Phonics or Math.

I agree with picking one or the other, but I have a child who really wants to do both. But I havent made up my mind if I will do both. I am doing SOTW for sure. Actually if I did 1/2 year of each it would work because of the way I scheduled World history for her school years.

1st - SOTW1

2nd- SOTW 2

5th - SOTW1

6th- SOTW2

7th- SOTW3

8th- SOTW4

I do both every year. I do world history for the first half and American history for the second half. I like doing it that way because it keeps it chronological. We can focus on one time period at a time.

Epi Kardia does history that way for each grade. You might like to look at their schedule and what they choose for their history spines and read alouds.

The more I think about this, the more I want to follow the 1/2 year of World and 1/2 year of US for at least the next 4 years. It will keep on the history cycle I wanted for 1st through fourth. Then I need to pick which one to do First and what I am using for US.

So this what my daughters history schedule would like for grammer stage.

1st grade first half of SOTW1 1/2 year and US 1/2 year

2nd grade second half of SOTW1 1/2 year and US 1/2 year

3rd grade first half of SOTW2 1/2 year and US 1/2 year

4th grade second half of SOTW2 1/2 year and US 1/2 year.

I think I like this.

I think I will just use some great books for us to read together from various of US history lists online, the scholastic hands on history ebooks I purchased at $1 sales, online resources for activities, dictations and narrations from our reading,