Menu

Easy way to preview curriculum?

daysaregifts

I love going to curriculum fairs, but they can be so overwhelming. I love to go to homeschool/education stores to look at curriculum, but they don't always have what I'm wanting to look at. And finding samples online are so helpful. But...I want to look at the whole enchilada. :) I need to be able to sit and study something a good while to see if it's a fit.

Do any of you ask your local stores to order you something just to look at? Would the big box regular bookstores do this?

I guess an ideal situation is to be able to order from somewhere online, get to peruse it and chew on it a few days, then return it if needed for not too much return shipping. (Or like Zappos who has free return shipping because they want your business!!)

Any thoughts appreciated!

I would look and see if there are any homeschooling book stores in your area. There is one about 45 min-1 hr away from me and I know they have a used book/curriculum section and regularly run great sales. Also, I know a lot of support groups/co-ops sometimes carry "curriculum libraries" that members can get books out of. Do you know any other homeschoolers in your area? Maybe they have a copy you can look at?

I would not feel comfortable asking a store to order a book(or curriculum) that I just wanted to look at. Now, if they had a 30-day return policy, then, I might feel a bit better about it. But, I would still probably feel strange.

Good luck!!

I've used Interlibrary loan to get copies of Shurley English. ILL works well for items that are seen in schools. The teacher colleges like to keep copies for their students to plan with. I've also gone to some college libraries that train teachers and sat and looked at Science and Math textbooks.

Homeschool groups in larger cities 100,000+? sometimes have donated curriculum that can be checked out for a short time.

Sometimes I'll buy a cheap well-used older copy on a used book site. Abe's books, addall.com, paperbackswap.com There are many. This works for textbooks.

Many of the most expensive items I've bought have extra websites that have given me the extra info I needed above and beyond the few pages on amazon or rainbowresource. ex. Finders keepers has extensive info on Shurley,Tapestry of Grace has 3 weeks of samples, IEW has several yahoo threads with enought files to get a better picture, singapore has a math site and an extra teacher site with whole extra practice workbooks for free.

:grouphug:

Ditto what heart'sjoy said.

I've also had luck with just asking on our local hs email lists if anyone is using xyz program and would be willing to meet me somewhere for lunch {normally mcondalds or a local BBQ place} and let me look at the materials.

Mostly I buy what I find in our local used book room though, so I get to see before I buy.