Menu

What is this Hooked on Phonics kit?

amselby81

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=007866&item_code=WW&netp_id=946689&event=1052ENDT|57689|1052&view=details

I have the H.O.P. for Kindergarten, and it cost me about $40 or $50. I used a discount, so I can't remember exactly, but it was about $50 at regular price. It only comes with the "workbooks," the reading books, and the DVD's. Nothing else! This kit is only $30 at regular price, it's on sale now for $10 through CBD, and it looks like it comes with more than I have! I don't have a flip book, a teacher's manual with activities, a CD Rom, or flashcards. I sent an email asking CBD what this was, and they said it was a replacement kit for additional children. That doesn't make sense, so I sent an email to H.O.P. b/c they don't even have anything like this on their website. I didn't get a response.

I have half a mind to get this even though it has items that I already have, just b/c $10 isn't bad to get the things that I don't have. As my H.O.P. is right now, I feel like it lacks. I just plop my daughter in front of the T.V. to watch words pop up, then have her read from the workbook, and then when she's finished a lesson I have her read a book.

Mine did come with stickers, but you just place them in the workbook. This is the kit that I have. It has the same workbooks and reading books. Just doesn't come with a TG, flashcards, flipbook thingy, or CD ROM. You'd think that the other kit would cost more b/c it looks like it includes more. http://www.hookedonphonics.com/learn-to-read-kindergarten

I have a friend who has that kit too, and she was surprised at how different my kit was. H.O.P. has changed. This is their newer version of the kit that you posted. Each grade level is just like the K level that I have. It has the DVD, the workbooks, the readingbooks, and stickers to put in the workbooks. Well, the Pre-K level comes with flashcards, but no other level does. There is no audio CD or CD ROM, only the DVD. There are online games though, with printables. But the games are pretty hokey, and the printables have so much color in them that they use so much ink.

http://www.hookedonphonics.com/learn-to-read-pre-k-2nd-grade?C1=19

I take that back! I just noticed that the big kit includes some extras, which do include the Flip Flap Books, review workbooks, an audio CD, make a book kit, and a DVD with cartoons. Huh. I wish I could buy the flip flap books and extra workbooks seperately.

I followed the link to CBD, and it says this kit does not include the DVDs that are referenced in the teachers guide. I have never used HOP, but a friend of mine recently told me she swears by it. Would it work to buy this kit and he cheap, or are the DVDs integral to the program?

I am confused about the HOP clearance as well. I was going to purchase 2 of them for my struggling dd and then I am glad I saw a note that tells the DVD's do not come with it. I wondered if they were available on another site. I then saw that CBD has them in a kit for around $60 or less but wonder if it is worth it or not!

i pm'd you

I am confused about the HOP clearance as well. I was going to purchase 2 of them for my struggling dd and then I am glad I saw a note that tells the DVD's do not come with it. I wondered if they were available on another site. I then saw that CBD has them in a kit for around $60 or less but wonder if it is worth it or not!

Wowzers! I'm so excited! This morning, I decided to look in a store called The Christmas Tree Shoppe, not expecting to find anything school oriented at all. I was passing by the toys section, I looked over at the bookshelf, and there before me was this box.

http://www.amazon.com/Hooked-Phonics-Learn-BONUS-K-2nd/dp/B004VE5FVA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331001528&sr=8-1

I walked over to check it out and it was priced at $9.99!!!!! Now, I know I don't have the 1st or 2nd grade packs yet, so the parts for 1st and 2nd grade aren't need yet, but it has exactly what I need for K. It didn't come with all of the reading books and the workbooks that I already have. It comes with the flip flop books for all 3 grades, an extra workbook for all 3 grades, a workbook that looks like it's for pre-k to k, and 2 audio CD's. Woot woot! The extra workbooks are great! The exercises go right along with the lessons and it requires DD to write in the book. Now THIS is what I consider a WORKbook. The workbook that came with my K kit doesn't get written in. DD just reads it. My only gripe is that if I want to use this stuff for my youngest DD, I can't find the extra workbooks anywhere by themselves. I'm don't know if I should just buy another box and keep it around for YDD. I could hold onto the flip flop books and CD's in case they need replacing. But a part of me feels like I shouldn't get another box just for YDD b/c she's still so young. For all I know, we might not like HOP or maybe HOP won't be effective for YDD. But then again, $9.99 isn't such a bad price.

Most of the HOP versions teach a lot of sight words, here is how and why to teach them phonetically:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/sightwords.html

It only takes you a few extra minutes up front and could save hours of remediation, I have remediated many students who got too many sight words. It takes a lot longer to remediate than to teach correctly the first time.