Menu

HOD Placing advice needed...(HELP!!)

mom2bbj

Hi,

I am a newbie, to this site and to homeschooling. We have decided to homeschool our DD next year. She is 11 and currently in the 5th grade.

A little history:

She has been diagnosed with APD/CAPD. We have been doing SO much work to help her cope and maintain passing grades. She spends 7+ hours at school, at home we preview and review each subject. We are on overload and her self-esteemed becoming non-existent.

So...

I need help. After considering and researching, I want to use the HOD program, but I am having trouble placing her. I am thinking of starting with Bigger Hearts instead of Preparing.

Please tell me if you would agree with my reasoning.

1. I want her to feel successful

2. I want her struggle less

3. I do not think she is functioning at the 5th grade level, even though she is "passing". Independently, she could not pass 5th grade.

4. For our first attempt at HS, I would feel more comfortable with Bigger ( I think!):001_huh:

Any and all comments, suggestions and advice would be very appreciated.

TIA

Vickie

I hope a bunch of HOD users hop on here and help out. I don't have specific experience with HOD, but I've heard from many places that it's better to start them where it's easy for them, and just be prepared to accommodate them if they make a big leap forward in skill level. This is often advised for mastery of skill subjects, but could apply here as well. If you think one level would be easier on her than another, I'd say go with it and just let everyone decompress for a month or three. Then you can reevaluate where she is. "School" can get done in a variety of ways, and not all of them feel like "school." :001_smile: I hope it goes smoothly and that both you and she enjoy this new journey!

I would call or email Carrie Austin and discuss your situation with her. She will be very helpful and encouraging. Also, I would order the guide (you may want to order the Preparing guide also, for comparison) and read through some of it before deciding.

I hope you have a wonderful first year of homeschooling!