Menu

History Odyssey level 2 questions

Has anyone used History Odyssey, level 2: Early Modern and Modern, but replaced the Van Loon book with Spielvogel's Human Odyssey? If so, would anyone have a schedule showing what to read when from Human Odyssey?

If you have used History Odyssey, level 2: Early Modern and Modern, did you find the schedule manageable and were you able to get through each book in one year? Is it at all feasible to do both in *one* year? My youngest will be grade 8 next year, having covered ancient history in gr 5 and medieval in gr 6; this year it has been world geography (co-op class). My plan had been to have him cover early modern/ modern in gr 8, then move on to Canadian history and geog in gr 9, leaving some space open for something different in gr 10 and 11. He will most likely attend school for gr 12, as his older brothers did, where he could take a one-semester Renaissance to 20thC history course. Would it be overkill to spend *two* years (gr 8 and 9) covering that same period of history if he then takes it again in gr 12? (None of my sons is strong in or interested in maths/ sciences, so they pretty much have to take the available humanities courses when they get to gr 12!) As I mentioned, the original plan had been to spend just one year, gr 8, on early modern/ modern so that there *would* be more of a gap between then and gr 12 when he would likely revisit the same history and he wouldn't duplicate high school credits; however, I'm not sure if I want to plan out the year's history studies on my own again, hence the idea of using History Odyssey--but that would take 2 years. Help!!

Any advice welcomed.

I don't have any advice for you about the Spielvogel text, but I am planning to combine the early modern/modern years into one as you are wanting to do. Of course you'll have to take this with a grain of salt as my plans are for next year, so they are still unproven.;). I'm planning to use the k12Human Odyssey vols 2 and 3, which will take a bit longer than our school year, so we will do some over our summer. We are doing History Odyssey Medieval this year, and I opted not to try to combine two years of that into one. I think you would have to cut out quite a bit to make it fit, or spend a lot of time on history. So, it partially depends on how much time your son wants to devote to history work. My kids are interested in a more streamlined approach to history at this point. I hope to keep it simple as far a scheduling, but still meaningful as I think the k12 texts are good. I'm combining for the same reason - I want to fit a year of American History into our rotation.

Has anyone used History Odyssey, level 2: Early Modern and Modern, but replaced the Van Loon book with Spielvogel's Human Odyssey? If so, would anyone have a schedule showing what to read when from Human Odyssey?

I used the Van Loon book for Early Modern but replaced it w/SOTW vol. 4 for modern.

If you have used History Odyssey, level 2: Early Modern and Modern, did you find the schedule manageable and were you able to get through each book in one year?

By trimming down some of the requirements, yes we go through them in one year. You really have to pick and choose some, it is a very full program.

Is it at all feasible to do both in *one* year?

I don't think so, not without skipping large chunks.

He will most likely attend school for gr 12, as his older brothers did, where he could take a one-semester Renaissance to 20thC history course. Would it be overkill to spend *two* years (gr 8 and 9) covering that same period of history if he then takes it again in gr 12?

I think that this is just a personal preference. It really doesn't matter, IMO.

Have you looked at the other History Odyssey time periods? That would really be my only idea. I really liked History Odyssey. It is a very rigorous program that we both enjoyed.

Have you looked at the other History Odyssey time periods? That would really be my only idea. I really liked History Odyssey. It is a very rigorous program that we both enjoyed.

Yes, but as I mentioned, he just did Ancients and Medieval a couple of years back, so I'm hoping to revisit those possibly in grades 10 and 11. Since I'd like to cover Canadian in gr 9, that leaves next year, gr 8, for early modern/ modern. After looking at HO samples, I can see that you're correct that it would be far too much to cover both in one year using HO. I'll likely have to just use Human Odyssey on its own and think up my own writing assignments (though I do plan to have him also read the Universal History of the World--an old series form the 60s but written in a very engaging narrative style).