Menu

Just Finished WWE2 - Now What?

bpskowski

In September, when we start 3rd grade we'll start back up with WWE3. But I need something for now and through the summer. I don't want to start WWE3 now because the dictation is building quickly. My ds can hold the words in his head but it's the mechanics (punctuation, spelling) that holds him up. He is a perfectionist. He is writing phobic. I want to do something that will help him be more comfortable with writing and to build endurance.

I will be doing the WWE2 4 day format with our history. But I'd like a program to help with the confidence, to help get over the phobia. I've looked at Writing Tales samples and WWW. I'm not sure if these will address his needs appropriately, but maybe they will. With WT, I like the exercises, but rewriting an entire passage seems way beyond him at the moment. What else is available? Any ideas are welcomed.

In September, when we start 3rd grade we'll start back up with WWE3. But I need something for now and through the summer. I don't want to start WWE3 now because the dictation is building quickly. My ds can hold the words in his head but it's the mechanics (punctuation, spelling) that holds him up. He is a perfectionist. He is writing phobic. I want to do something that will help him be more comfortable with writing and to build endurance.

I will be doing the WWE2 4 day format with our history. But I'd like a program to help with the confidence, to help get over the phobia. I've looked at Writing Tales samples and WWW. I'm not sure if these will address his needs appropriately, but maybe they will. With WT, I like the exercises, but rewriting an entire passage seems way beyond him at the moment. What else is available? Any ideas are welcomed.

I would just continue writing WWE2 style with his history and science. I am not positive what that is since we just switched and I only have WWE 1 and 3 but if its narrations and dictations just have him continue with history and science. That should be more than sufficient!

I would just continue writing WWE2 style with his history and science.

:iagree:This is what I'm doing with my writing phobic 7 year old (though we're not done with WWE2 yet, but if we were, it's what I'd do ;) ).

I've looked at things like Writing Tales, and there is NO WAY my son could write that much any time soon. :tongue_smilie: WWE style writing (copywork, dictation, oral narration) is really what my son needs until he gets more confidence.

In the meantime, we are focusing more on spelling, as that is my son's big fear about writing. He is terrified that he will spell a word wrong. In fact, yesterday's math meltdown? Writing number words. He has no problem writing them down correctly, but he doesn't know how to spell all the words, and it freaks him out. So I made some number word copywork, had him do that (a whole page, which strangely he did without complaint - numbers 1-15, then 20-90 by 10's, then hundred, thousand, million, and billion). I said he could use that sheet as a reference while writing the number words in his math. He then happily did the number words in his math with no problem. He was just paralyzed with fear over the spelling issue, even though I said (and have always said) that I don't care about spelling during math time.

Otherwise, I'm being patient that writing will become easier. I've seen a ton of growth in the last year, and WWE has been a perfect fit for him. He's able to do his oral narrations (which are excellent), and copy or dictate them with spelling help for the dictation. Frankly, the words he uses are not 2nd grade level spelling anyway, so I can see why he'd have such a huge disconnect. This should get better as he gets closer to 4th grade, I'm sure.

So I feel your pain. I just try to sit on my hands until his hand catches up with his brain. :D

yeah, just continue picking out copywork and dictation from his history and lit reading. SOTW is a good choice. I cannot remember if there is narration in WWE2, but you can count history narration in there if you are using SOTW. You can use one of his own sentences for copywork etc.

We are in the same boat -- finished WWE2, not quite ready for WWE3. We pick a daily sentence for dictation from our current read-aloud. It has been working wonders! DS is very eager to write about adventures of his favorite characters. We are planning to continue this approach throughout the spring and summer.