Menu

Help me come up with some ideas for a year long biome study.

5LittleMonkeys

I'm writing my own science for 4th and 7th grades next year using Our Living World series by Barbara Somerville. There are 7 books covering oceans and reefs; tundra; rivers, lakes, streams and ponds; forests; deserts; grasslands; and wetlands.

We will be making dioramas of each biome, lapbooks of each and will also be creating miniature biomes using aquariums, bottles and jars. I'm thinking of doing some experiments to show how plants are specifically designed to live and thrive in different biomes. Setting up a situation where we place cactus in a wetlands situation or a fern in a desert situation would model this well. Does anyone have any other ideas that would be fun?

I'm working on compiling a list of documentaries, which is easy with netflix, but I need help coming up with some other living books. I wouldn't even mind a literature or biography book that might tie in somehow.

Any ideas that you've used and worked well with these grades would be appreciated!

One Small Square series by Donald Silver - beautiful books

John Muir: My Life with Nature

Learning from Nature: Cross Curricular Activities to Foster Creative and Critical Thinking

My Life with the Chimpanzees by Jane Goodall

Many books by Jean Craighead George

The rest of these suggestions might be good either as read alouds, or for your 7th grader...

Swampwalker's Journal: A Wetlands Year, by David M. Carroll. He wrote several other books as well that look good.

The Trees in my Forest, by Bernd Heinrich (warning - there is a section on tree "s~x", i.e. tree reproduction, but he phrases it as s~x). He also wrote A Year in the Maine Woods, which is a good book.

A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold

When we did a biome study in 5th grade, in addition to reading and writing about different biomes, we also picked a place in our area that we could go visit regularly. We went once a week for X number of weeks (you might want to go once a month since you're doing a whole year), and we'd make notes on the temperature, if there was any precipitation, and on what we smelled, sounds we heard, different things we saw.

We'd try to identify different plants and trees in the area. She'd draw different plants, trees or animals that she saw there. We'd note seasonal changes. She'd touch things. We tried making tea from white pine needles. We'd just stay quiet for a while and see what we observed. That kind of thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Tree-Life-World-African-Baobab/dp/1578050863/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1330565772&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Ones-World-Old-Growth-Douglas/dp/1578050812/ref=pd_sim_b_5

http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Village-World-Indian-Banyan/dp/1578050804/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_7

http://www.amazon.com/Desert-Giant-World-Saguaro-Cactus/dp/1578050855/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_5

These may be a bit too young, but we enjoyed this series.

Jan Brett also has some picture books that focus on specific biomes and activity pages on her website. These might help bring in your little ones.

Other favorites

Tree in the Trail

Seabird

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Owl in the Shower

Call of the Wild

Nathanial Bowditch

Girl of the Limberlost

20,000 Leagues Under the sea

Julie of the Wolves

Mountain Born

21 Balloons

Misty of Chincoteague

Tree in the Trail

Seabird

Mr. Popper's Penguins

Owl in the Shower

Call of the Wild

Nathanial Bowditch

Girl of the Limberlost

20' date='000 Leagues Under the sea

Julie of the Wolves

Mountain Born

21 Balloons

Misty of Chincoteague[/quote']

Oh, thanks for these! I was drawing a blank on literature to add.:001_smile:

Brighty of the Grand Canyon

Little House in Prairie

Secret Garden

The Adventures of Paddy the Beaver

There's another old classic, I can't remember the title; it's a boy coming of age in the Florida Everglades who raises a deer and has many adventures in nature.