Menu

Can we talk about reading?

purplejackmama

My ds8 loathes reading. He would rather do most anything than read a book. I want to see this change, I would love for him to just read for the sake of reading. But in the meantime, I need to find a reading plan. I am looking for a curriculum that gives a daily assignment with followup review/comprehension questions? Does this exist?

Thanks much!

Do you feel he needs a reading curriculum or would it be possible to try and find the right book in the library to really engage him. Maybe something based on one of his interests or passions? I remember as a young child becoming Really interested in reading when I hit Nancy Drew books. I loved them.

Does he read well? Struggle? Find it boring? Why his dislike?

If you're positive he reads well and/or finds reading to be boring, then I'd seek out books he finds interesting. I wouldn't worry about the level, the subject (as long as it's appropriate, of course), if it's a classic or fluff. Just let him read.

If he struggles, or it's possible that's the problem, then I'd seek out books he can feel successful when reading. Don't worry about the level, just let him read and re-read to build his confidence.

For comprehension, I'd start with very basic re-telling of the story.

Some people never become avid readers, or the desire flips on later in life, just keep moving forward.

If you want something that is just a reader with follow-up questions, Rod &Staff has that (Bible stories), as does Pathway readers (character building stories), and so does CLE. I don't have experience with any of these yet but if that is what you are looking for they might be worth looking into!