Menu

The Potter's School / English 1-3 & Adv.Composition

Do you think following this course of study from 7th (English I) through 10th (Advanced Composition) is an adequate preparation for college level writing?

Would we need to add anything else for LA (apart of spelling/vocabulary)?

I would also love to hear about your experiences with TPS English in general...

Thank you so much!

That is the exact path we are taking, though my son started in 8th grade, so he won't do Advanced Comp until next year. Many of my friends have used this sequence and their children have been well-prepared for college. A couple of them have gone to the Air Force Academy, so their standards are high.

Do you have any specific questions?

Thank you Maryann!

Did you do anything else for LA? Are grammar and composition covered in a way that makes other programs redundant? (I am seriously wondering whether I will need to add CW or R&S...!)

Also, did you add a Vocabulary program?

Thank you so much again!

I have a ds in English 1 and a different ds in English 3 with TPS. Both classes teach grammar and composition and are very (maybe more than) adequate in those subjects. However, TPS' coverage of literature in those classes is limited/probably not what it would be if I'd done it at home. There is some vocabulary included in the lit portion of English 1, but I don't think vocab is included in English 3.

English 3 uses Analytical Grammar as their grammar portion. Eng 1 does not use a particular curriculum. I think what they use was created by a prior English teacher. It is very good instruction. If you use R&S grammar at the same time that your dc is taking English 1, it will be confusing. We've used R&S last year and some of the explanations and diagramming are different than what is taught in Eng 1. It would not be hard to adjust, but learning 2 grammar programs at once will be a bit confusing.

I believe that the composition instruction is excellent at the English 1 level. You will not have missed any instruction at this point. But at the English 3 level, it seems as though they expect/assume that your prior composition classes were TPS. They are not teaching their process; they expect that you know it and follow it. The composition instruction in Eng3 is very good. It is just a bit more difficult if the student has not had prior TPS Eng courses. To remedy that, TPS offers a 6+1 Writing Traits class in the summer.

Anyway. HTH

Val

Thank you Maryann!

Did you do anything else for LA? Are grammar and composition covered in a way that makes other programs redundant? (I am seriously wondering whether I will need to add CW or R&S...!)

Also, did you add a Vocabulary program?

Thank you so much again!

My kids already have a very good vocabulary, so I didn't worry about that at all. They do some vocabulary along with the Literature.

Eng. 1 and Eng. 3 have tons of grammar. You wouldn't want to add any more. Eng. 2, not so much, but it is a nice change in between 1 and 3.

They don't cover a large number of books, but do cover them in detail. Eng. 1 and 2 also have large poetry units.