Menu

If you use Calvert's A Child's History of the World

jayb842

I love CHOW. I will be using it again next year with a 4th and 2nd grader. The first time we read it, my son liked it so much that history became his favorite subject. The chapters are written like stories that your grandfather might tell you. It is entertaining and funny.

I don't agree with the "pre-history" caveman theories, so I just skip the first four chapters. After that, there is not much that I don't like. Occasionally I think Hillyer has a different view than I have as a Christian, so I talk about that with my kids.

I am planning to use the Calvert workbook that goes along with CHOW for extra reinforcement. Calvert also as an online program that goes along with CHOW, but I haven't used that yet.

I am using it this year and we love it, but we all lOved Story of the World even more, FWIW. But SOTW takes 3-4 years time to get through World HistOry whereas CHOW only takes one. So it depends on what your needs are.

We love the workbook Calvert sells. It has nice enrichment ideas, and outlining to do, plus map work now and then.