Menu

Building Thinking Skills question

Kathryn

If you use the early BTS books that have both figural and verbal in the same book, how do you do it?

Do you go straight through the book doing all the figural chapters and then all the verbal chapters?

Or do you do the figural chapter on describing and then the verbal chapter on describing, then the figural chapter on similarities and differences and then the verbal chapter on similarities and differences, etc.?

I talked to a rep at the Critical Thinking Co. booth last summer when I was at a homeschool convention. He recommended that my kids do one page from each type of activity per day. He said that it would get both sides of their brains working. :D

When the exercises start to get too difficult, he said to stop that chapter and jump to the next chapter. (The exercises proceed from easiest to hardest within a chapter. )

In other words, we are working through two chapters currently. When my kid can't understand what to do in a particular chapter, we skip the rest of the activities in that chapter and start a new one. Next year we will do the activities that were too hard this year. Does that make any sense?

I talked to a rep at the Critical Thinking Co. booth last summer when I was at a homeschool convention. He recommended that my kids do one page from each type of activity per day. He said that it would get both sides of their brains working. :D

When the exercises start to get too difficult, he said to stop that chapter and jump to the next chapter. (The exercises proceed from easiest to hardest within a chapter. )

In other words, we are working through two chapters currently. When my kid can't understand what to do in a particular chapter, we skip the rest of the activities in that chapter and start a new one. Next year we will do the activities that were too hard this year. Does that make any sense?

Yes! Thank you SO much for that. I'm planning out book 1 to use for 2nd and 3rd grade, so that really helps. We've been doing BTS Primary last year and this year and just have gone straight through. It'll be more planning for me, but I think that what you outlined will work much better (yes, I realize I could just DO it instead of planning it, but then I might have a panic attack!).

Yes! Thank you SO much for that. I'm planning out book 1 to use for 2nd and 3rd grade, so that really helps. We've been doing BTS Primary last year and this year and just have gone straight through. It'll be more planning for me, but I think that what you outlined will work much better (yes, I realize I could just DO it instead of planning it, but then I might have a panic attack!).

I could see how you might want to plan it. I don't really care when we finish the books, so I just have bookmarks at whatever pages we are on. I pull out the books and tell the kids to do one page from each section.