Menu

Well, we finished WWE 1 today...

I can't decide if I should be happy or let down. Ds easily blew through the copywork and bombed the narration responses. He couldn't answer in complete sentences even when prompted and definitely didn't remember names or details from the passages. Although, if it was a main point or a crucial detail he did get the answer (yellow brick road, etc.) and his narration was the main point of the passage in that the scarecrow was unhappy with his lot in life.

Now I don't know if I should move on or side-step with more listening comprehension. It is completely possible that he will not pick up on details even with a lot of practice since this is not how his brain is wired. He seems to easily find the main point and skim over the details. What to do?

Did you per chance re-read the sections that had the answers to the questions to him? Did you read slowly? When he answered did you say "repeat after me" and begin the answer with a complete sentence?

I mention all those things because that's what it took for BOTH of my dd's to get the hang of the program and what was expected. If they bombed an enter day of WWE, we would go back and do it over. Then they would do much better. Finally it got better. Even still my dd8.5 on SOME of the narration days has to be prompted or have a section re-read and that's in WWE2. My first grader is flying through WWE1 without MANY issues at all. She will struggle maybe once out of a MONTH, completely opposite as my oldest.

WWE has been a blessing in our home. The extra patience and work will pay off!:001_smile:

Have you listened to SBW's lecture on elementary writing? We dropped WWE after we finished level 1 last year and I got CW. I had decided to leave it until next year but had already started questioning my plan, when someone suggested I listen to SWB's lectures on writing. I started with the elementary one and was pleasantly surprised to see that I was the one creating my own misery and I should have cut my boy some slack while he builds on the skills worked on, with SBW's approach to writing. The copywork and answering in complete sentences was not an issue. The questions and remembering the details was for us, since our family is highly visual and we need to read something for ourselves (I was doing that to a certain degree also, letting him read it on his own).

Anyway, my goal was to use CW just for writing, since I always intended to use another grammar program. Listening to the lecture made me understand and clarify in my mind what I want to accomplish when it comes to writing, so I have decided to go back to WWE next year. We have been using PLL this year and have enjoyed it but I am not seeing the end goal like I am with WWE, so we will finish PLL and work on WWE 2 and then take it from there. The break was good for us and now we are ready to get back to business :).

Edited by Guest

Did you per chance re-read the sections that had the answers to the questions to him? Did you read slowly? When he answered did you say "repeat after me" and begin the answer with a complete sentence?

I usually do, but I didn't this week since it was the Level 1 evaluation. Ds can repeat back the sentences and pick out the answers if I re-read, but not on the first try unless he is very interested in the passage being read aloud.