Menu

Dive Biology & SAT2

• 1 year later...

Did anyone end up taking Sat 2 after Dive bio? How did it go??

Ha! It was funny to see my response up the thread, from almost a year and a half ago! We ended up preparing for the AP exam, which was definitely not the original plan. But by the time we decided to do that, the other families in the co-op had already bought the DIVE cd, so we still sort of used that. We mainly used Biology by Campbell and Reece, though, instead of the BJU book.  It turns out that there isn't a DIVE lecture each week (some weeks he just tells you to read the chapter in the book associated with the topic of the week), but for the weeks he had lectures, I had the boys watch them, figuring hearing him explain the concepts would provide a good overview and solidify whatever was in the Campbell book (which was always a ton deeper and more complicated). 

Three of my students did take the SAT 2.  They got a 780, 770, and 730 on the exam, so they did well.  I just asked my son (who got the 770) if he felt like the DIVE/BJU combo would have been enough to prepare him for the exam.  He didn't think he would have done quite as well, maybe in the 600s.  I think that it is a thorough program (and I do really like the BJU biology book), so I would think that if you also diligently used test prep books, esp. for the evolution part, then you would do fine. 

Ironically, with the change in the AP bio exam, the SAT 2 is the one that more focuses on just rote memorization of biological facts.  At least it is easier to prepare for, in that there are lots of sample tests, and the general test hasn't changed over the past several years!

I think it is worth it and maybe even wise to take SAT 2s after you take a class in the subject. I have not done that, but after reading 8 First Choices I realized that was my mistake. Since the SAT 2s are easy enough to sign up for and take, why not?