Menu

Using Writing with Skill...perhaps with HOD

MrsMe

I really don't like WWTB that HOD uses. I find it a bit frustrating. Writing with Skill seems to walk you through this process in the same way, but in a more simple, spelled out manner.

I'm not sure if I'd need to start with Writing with Skill or Level 4 WWE. I can't find a placement test.

DD already does oral and written narrations in HOD CTC, however I'm not sure if she knows the difference between a detailed and summarized narration. By the sample of WWS, it looks like she could start there, because she's already doing pretty long narrations.

What do they need to know for WWS?

Here's placement help for you.... Diagnostic Evaluations for WWE.

The word on the street is that your student does NOT necessarily need WWE4 under her belt to be successful with WWS. I'd shoot for success in completing WWE3's diagnostic evaluation then jump into WWS! With the writing you have done within HOD's CTC (Write with the Best and across the subjects) and your grammar program (not R&S for you, right? Don't remember what you use for that.) I'd go for WWS but that's just me.... :D

Here's placement help for you.... Diagnostic Evaluations for WWE.

The word on the street is that your student does NOT necessarily need WWE4 under her belt to be successful with WWS. I'd shoot for success in completing WWE3's diagnostic evaluation then jump into WWS! With the writing you have done within HOD's CTC (Write with the Best and across the subjects) and your grammar program (not R&S for you, right? Don't remember what you use for that.) I'd go for WWS but that's just me.... :D

Oooh! Thanks for the link! My guess is WWS as well. And frankly if I found it a level too high I could go back to 4. But I hate to buy 4 since we do all that narrations and copywork and dictation already. I didn't know if there was any sneaky stuff. But I'll go check the link. :)

I really don't like WWTB that HOD uses. I find it a bit frustrating. Writing with Skill seems to walk you through this process in the same way, but in a more simple, spelled out manner.

I'm not sure if I'd need to start with Writing with Skill or Level 4 WWE. I can't find a placement test.

DD already does oral and written narrations in HOD CTC, however I'm not sure if she knows the difference between a detailed and summarized narration. By the sample of WWS, it looks like she could start there, because she's already doing pretty long narrations.

What do they need to know for WWS?

We are not in WWS yet , but I LOVE the samples and I believe that is how a perfect writing curriculum should be :)

You might (or might not) find helpful Carrie's reply to my question "Are there answers keys in the older guides" . It's still active in HOD board. Although she did not clearly answer for my particular situation, she made a good point explaining the difference between classical ed and HOD , between summary and narration. I like both philosophies and as long as it will work for me, we will do both , WWE & HOD narrations or writing . We are only in LHFHG and Bigger right now and I am aware that the upper guides are more demanding, but if we have to give up one of these, it won't be WWE or WWS. I love these especially for the hand holding that me , as a teacher I need so much. Perhaps an English native would be fine to just use HOD writing , but if you are not comfortable with what they use, I think it's possible to use WWS , however the writings probably won't be tied to history or science in HOD . For me that will not be a problem though .

There's still quite a bit of time in this year yet to give it a try. I loved the sample of WWS and the definitions of detail vs summary! Loved it!

I am following that thread and that's why I love HOD! I think it's great not to give a one size-one person fits all answer.

This would give me a chance to work on writing and see if this is the way to go before I buy Medieval Writing as well. But WWTB I like the thought of it, but it's just "there". It's not doing anything for me. And frankly WWTB isn't tied to anything in CTC and it doesn't matter for me either. It's refreshing to get away from some topics sometimes.