Menu

WWE ( WWS) or HOD?

blessedmom3

I am looking ahead and trying to decide between these two for the next years.

I love HOD but I am not sure if it's right for our family due to lack of answer keys in the future . In my understanding , you as a teacher have to read the book in order to evaluate the narration or writing .

I really like how WWE& WWS are set up , with comprehension questions and answers or examples of how the narration should look. I am afraid I won't be able to properly teach my dc LA skills without an ex. Such as those in WWE/WWS . I need this hand holding and I am not sure HOD provides that, although I love the schedule and everything else.

Would be possible to use WWE/WWS in the upper guides (Prep.& up) in addition to HOD work ?

I posted this on HOD too but nobody has answered yet.

I appreciate any input / suggestions.

-------------..-.......-----------------------------------------------

We are enjoying LHFHG right now with a 5 yo and a 7 yo . Things are going really well and although I feel the Burgess books are above my dc understanding ( often even my own since English is my 3rd language and some words are very difficult to pronounce or read ) they are exposed to language and learning how to listen . Most of the time they are not able to answer the questions in the storytime box , but I ask them at least one thing they remember about the story and they are able to tell me. My 7 yo is slightly in the autism spectrum ( Aspergers) and has comprehension issues and my 5yo is too young for these books but she still listens well most of the time.

As we are going up the guides ( I already bought Beyond&Bigger because they are doing the math from Beyond and spelling from Bigger) I am wondering if from CTC& up there will be some kind of teacher help with comprehension questions & answers . I feel I won't be able to efficiently help my dc at that level , first because English is not my language , second because I rather have a "math brain" and analysing literature is difficult for me , third because I heard from some ladies in another homeschooling forum complain about the lack of answer keys in the older guides . So you can see I have enough reasons to worry I am not sure I understood the ladies well , but they were saying that they had to read the books in order to help their dc with the questions ( or maybe narration or maybe DITHOR worksheets ? Not sure) . I think they were talking about CTR or RTR.

I have 4 dc and to read their books would be impossible for me . I am talking about storytime books from Preparing&up which I think they are supposed to read by themselves or at least my kids will All my dc are excellent readers ( all started to read fluently between 4-5 ) and they mostly read by themselves as I have a strong accent and they often correct me in my pronunciation So as they go in Beyond , I am planning to let them read storytime books themselves or to me .Right now, both of them are almost done with Emergent reader books and I loved the questions for these !

I don't mind to look through their book and ask some questions at 2nd-3rd grade level, but the books from Preparing&up seem deep and just too hard for me to do it without a guide, not to mention the lack of time to read them myself . So if there are not answer keys , how do I know if my son will answer right ? Would you recommend to buy some guides from Progenity Press or other suppliers for some of the books used in Preparing&up? I have DITHOR , ( although I haven't started with my dc yet ) but it does not have Answer keys either from what I have seen . I am not sure what to do . Please advice . I already have low confidence that I will be able to teach my dc since English is not my language . I am concerned that if the questions in upper guides are open-ended , I need to read the book myself in order to properly evaluate my dc narrations.

Edited by blessedmom3

I am, by no means, an expert. I have used Bigger. I am using Preparing. I have CTC for next year. I have used the guides with a wider age range than prescribed by HOD so I would only be doing one history/science with everyone. I modify the math (singapore on level) and language arts (FLL and The Complete Writer:WWE on level) for each student.

People on the HOD boards may not reply because HOD does not like talk of other curricula on their board.

If you are uncomfortable with english, WWE/WWS will hold your hand more than HOD and take incremental steps forward throughout the year as opposed to HOD's one big step every year. You could use it with HOD and use WWE/WWS in place of some HOD narrations, copywork, and dictation. If you do that, there would not be as much writing to cement history, science, and poetry. But, you would get the scheduling and everything else, which you said you liked.

I hope that shed a bit of light on your question. If not, at least it gave you a bump!

I am, by no means, an expert. I have used Bigger. I am using Preparing. I have CTC for next year. I have used the guides with a wider age range than prescribed by HOD so I would only be doing one history/science with everyone. I modify the math (singapore on level) and language arts (FLL and The Complete Writer:WWE on level) for each student.

People on the HOD boards may not reply because HOD does not like talk of other curricula on their board.

If you are uncomfortable with english, WWE/WWS will hold your hand more than HOD and take incremental steps forward throughout the year as opposed to HOD's one big step every year. You could use it with HOD and use WWE/WWS in place of some HOD narrations, copywork, and dictation. If you do that, there would not be as much writing to cement history, science, and poetry. But, you would get the scheduling and everything else, which you said you liked.

I hope that shed a bit of light on your question. If not, at least it gave you a bump!

THANKS,THAT HELPS

I THInk wwe holds my hand better. I HAVE BEEN USING ITALONG with HOD and itworked well for the younger guides , but I am not sure it will work with the older guides.

wWS looks faboulous and I wouldn't want to skip it, especially that it has examples ofnarrations and has such a teacher support as opposite to HOD or DITHOR.

IFi use WWS, would you recommend Dithor?