Menu

My dd is coming back home next year!!!! I have a science question....

First of all, I am so excited that my dd is coming back home home. She wanted to go to high school so I supported her, and now she wants to come back home. Woo Hoo!!!!

OK, here is my question, this year she is taking biology in ps. Our co-op is going to have an Apologia Physical Science class next year. Would you let your child take this class in 10th grade if extra assignments and reports are added to make it more challenging?

The following are Florida State Standards. I am not sure if I would be able to use the Physical Science class as a credit??

Three credits in science, two of which must have a laboratory component. Beginning with students entering grade 9 in the 2011-2012 school year, one of the three credits in science must be Biology I or a series of courses equivalent to Biology I as approved by the State Board of Education. Beginning with students entering grade 9 in the 2011-2012 school year, the end-of-course assessment requirements under s. 1008.22(3)©2.a.(II) must be met in order for a student to earn the required credit in Biology I. Beginning with students entering grade 9 in the 2013-2014 school year, one of the three credits must be Biology I or a series of courses equivalent to Biology I as approved by the State Board of Education, one credit must be chemistry or physics or a series of courses equivalent to chemistry or physics as approved by the State Board of Education, and one credit must be an equally rigorous course, as determined by the State Board of Education

What did she do for science in 8th grade?

Does she plan on a majoring in a science or related field?

If she hasn't already done physical science, it's a good course to take as preparation for physics and chemistry. I'm assuming that she would take these in 11th and 12th. However, if she's planning on a science major, then I would suggest she take physics, chemistry and an advanced, or AP, course in bio, chem or physics.

Is meeting the high school standard your goal or is college admission your goal? You might double check the admission requirements of a few colleges that might be of interest to her and make sure that the Physical Science isn't a problem.

I would consider Physical Science to be a step backwards from Biology. She has already had a semester of it and probably already covered some of the chemistry in Biology too. I would skip the coop science and do Chemistry or Physics. If she doesn't want to do both of those and prefers to do one of them next year, then let her choose another science such as Earth Science or Environmental Science for this coming year.