Menu

Now I need opinions on Writing...

thowell

Dd11 will be 7th grade next year and I think I am settled on most subjects but I am still worried about writing. I have to say we have not done a writing curriculum before. She does written summaries and narrations a couple times a week across subjects. She knows how to do an outline from readings and how to make one for reports. Her style is lacking and I feel like this is my fault because I can't figure out how to teach her.

We tried WWS last year and she didn't do well. Each lesson was taking her well over an hour and I had to really hold her hand through it. Maybe she just wasn't ready for it. So I am not sure which direction to go for next year. I also think I need something that is very open and go and will really hold my hand as the teacher. I am planning to use Abeka Grammar and Comp. but as I have looked through the writing portion of it I am not sure this is what I want. Is there something I could add to it? Should I even attempt the Abeka, or should we try WWS again. If there is something completely different that you love please share!

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I plan to use this w/my 7th grader next year: http://apologia.securesites.net/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34&products_id=87. After that, I'm not sure...but probably essay and research paper programs from either Analytical Grammar or Epi Kardia...and lots of essays across the curriculum. HTH some:) Gina

You might look at Essentials in Writing. It's VERY open & go. Short video segments--3-5 minutes each, explaining a concept. He spends quite a few lessons on literary elements, explains each one and talks about how to use it to make your writing pop (and also talks about how not to over use them but that well-placed elements help your writing really come alive). We're only partway through the 7th grade level but I really like it so far, and the price is great. Only con is that the sound quality isn't the best, but it's tolerable. Anyway, you can hear samples online & see the worksheets (you buy a CD and can print them all out, they are clearly labeled, or you can purchase a workbook). It's the easiest program we've used. And you can set a time limit--30 minutes or however long you want her to spend--and she can just do however much she gets done. (You could consider that with your current program too--set a time limit instead of trying to do it all in one day).

Anyway, something different! Merry :-)