Menu

TOG ordering question

meltf928

Do I NEED the printed version? Obviously this is my first time using it. I'd love to get by with just the DE version, but I don't know if I'll get a good feel for it or not. The price for the printed version is killing me though. Is it really worth $290 to have it in print when you already have it on the computer?

FWIW, I am pretty visual and while I love reading on my Kindle, I prefer the hard copy of text books. I'll have 3 students this year, 1 in Upper G, 1 in Lower G and 1 in the middle.

I've also considered ordering just DE and then just 1 Unit of the print to get me by until I have a feel for it.

We'll be using TOG mostly for HIstory and Literature.

Do you NEED print? No. If you don't mind reading on screen, you're fine. It's easy to navigate DE. They have plenty of bookmarks for each section each week. You aren't prepping for and leading discussions yet so I think it is not only easy but preferable to do almost everything else on DE. I do all of my planning and assignments from DE. I always turn to DE to check lit worksheets or see what is coming up. I do prefer to use print copies for reading the teacher notes -- but wouldn't mind doing it on my laptop either. The only think I absolutely like to have in print every week are the discussion scripts. I underline things, make notes, highlight, etc. so that I am prepared to lead the discussions. If I only had DE, I would simply print only those pages each week. (I have had and used all 4 year plans since before DE came about. As I recycled to each year, I did upgrade to DE so now I have both.) Since you aren't doing discussions yet, I would think you could do DE only and then print your lit worksheets from there for your students.

I use DE on a Mac with zero problem. Right now I'm using Google Chrome as my browser.

I tried DE only a little over a year ago and had a hard time with it very honestly. I just purchased one DE unit though to see. I also like hardcopies of things that I can mark up.

That said, I just went back to TOG, now going into our 4th week I think it is. I am doing this unit DE only, and it is going just fine for me. In the meantime though I did buy some hardcopy/DE and was able to then watch the video presentation of scheduling while looking at my hardcopies. I was able to get a good feel for it looking at the hardcopy we are not using (it is actually for next year). I then was so excited I went back and got DE to finish out this year/this history cycle.

Even on the DE though, I do print most pages of the weekly plan, which is pretty expensive on my ink-sucking printer. I do skip printing things that pertain only to a level I'm not teaching currently. I shove those into my own binder and will reuse them. I like to mark them all up on the schedule (I mark what is library, call number, what we own personally, where it is stored in the house).

If you do decide to do DE, you can print the entire curriculum week plan and have what the hardcopy contains. After a few weeks of this you may find you no longer need to print. If you like having it all printed like that and your printer is an expensive ink sucker like mine, you might find you want to purchase the printed copy from them (it works out cheaper for me for next year).

I so much wish I could use DE on my ipad. That would reduce what I feel I needed to print by like 90%.

I have the print / DE edition. I have a Mac. I don't have any problems viewing the DE on my mac at all. I am glad I have the print edition this year, but now that I really know how to use the curriculum, I am on the fence as to whether or not I need the print edition, since by the time we roll back around to this year again, so many of the books in the print edition will have been changed. I have been pretty surprised at how quickly some of the book rec.s change / go out of print. If you always want the updated version, then DE is the way to go.

I have a macbook and a newer iMac and use my DE with no problems.

As far as printing goes, I've been getting some great deals at OfficeMax and Staples for paper and ink. I'm printing everything, and think it's still cheaper than buying the print copy too. They offer great rewards and rebates. I like having the flexibility of printing off whatever I want whenever I want. I also print on fast draft which saves on ink. It doesn't seem as "painful" if my coffee spills on my teacher pages :)