Menu

How does this look for 1st grader?

Bellamoon

Since I am working with my 5 year old now I am going to put her straight to 1st grade work come fall. How does this look?

Spelling workout A, Hooked on phonics, The complete writer level 1, Singapore math 1a and 1b, Story of the world. We will hit the library for reading books and I'm unsure about science.

Looks good to me. We did use RealScience4kids for our science. We got done early and now are starting our own curriculum for science, and I think it is a great fit for younger kids. We took up SWB recommendations and had the girls pick 20 animal they want to learn about. Then each week we do reading on the animal, a craft, videos, and a zoo outing if possible. Way more fun.

That looks good to me!

My rising 1st grader will have a similar setup: Singapore Math 1A/1B, Story of the World 1, phonics/spelling/writing/literature (K12 LA 1), and handwriting. We don't need any other formal curricula. We'll probably just read books and do nature walks for science. He tends to be right in the thick of the older kids' stuff, so he absorbs a lot of things that way. :)