Menu

Keep them in the same history or let oldest..

Addicted2Coffee

I had the same dilemma when my oldest took human geography during her first semester this year. After some deliberation, I just decided to stick with our regular history cycle for the younger three. I just couldn't find a geography curriculum that I liked for the lower grades, that suited the big age spread and was open-and-go. I didn't want to have to pull together a million books over the course of the year. I almost bought Sonlight's Eastern Hemisphere's core for this year, but decided I wanted something more comprehensive, secular and age appropriate for the boys.

My oldest is pretty much off doing her own thing when she studies, so she wouldn't have joined in on the younger kids' stuff, even if they'd been doing geography. Also, college human geography covers a lot of topics that I wouldn't have done with the little guys, so the courses wouldn't have lined up well anyway.

My problem is I can't find anything I want to use for either really :tongue_smilie:

Except sonlight core F, it looks awesome! :drool5: I'm thinking about using it for DD9 but I don't know if I can justify the price since it will only be for her.. Is it possible to use for an advanced 3rd grader? She can read 5th grade level books but I'm not sure..:bigear:

My problem is I can't find anything I want to use for either really :tongue_smilie:

Except sonlight core F, it looks awesome! :drool5: I'm thinking about using it for DD9 but I don't know if I can justify the price since it will only be for her.. Is it possible to use for an advanced 3rd grader? She can read 5th grade level books but I'm not sure..:bigear:

I haven't used core F yet, but from all I've heard from those who have, they recommend using it with a child no younger than 11 years old. I'm really excited to do core F, but I'm waiting until my two oldest are 13 and 11, so they'll get the most out of the core.

I have my two, who are 8 and 11, "out of sync" with history.

My kids started homeschooling halfway through 2nd and 4th grade. We did interest led history for 12-14 weeks to get started (which meant Ancient Greece and Rome in some depth without a curriculum).

So starting at the end of that time period, I decided I liked the idea of the history cycle in WTM and let my then 10YO start with a yearlong study of Ancients, figuring he will probably cycle through twice by the time he graduates, maybe with or without time to pick a side project of special interest in that time.

For my 8YO I had to choose-- start with ancients, and figure he'd get through about 2 1/2 cycles, but skip half a cycle of either grammar or logic stage, start with early modern, skipping the first half of the grammar cycle (but skip all those wonderful books available for ancients and medieval for grammar stage???) or cycle through twice and have two years to pursue special interest courses in high school.

I ultimately chose to have him get through grammar stage history in semesters-- ancients and medieval this year, early modern and modern next year. This is working well for him, as he still has plenty of time for lots of related literature studies and mapping.

More to your question: It's not too much of a burden to unbundle the kids' topics this way. I have gotten to the point where I teach them separately in most subjects anyway, so it's fine that they're studying different periods in history. It means more books around, but that's okay. Sometimes they watch each other's history channel movies and read each other's books, giving one a preview of history, and the other gets a review, but that's fine by me! Reinforcement is a good thing!

In the end I did what I felt was best for them rather than most convenient for me, given that it was not going to break me down. If i had five kids or more, keeping them together on topic might be more important to me.

Christian Cottage Unit Studies Volume 2 Eastern Hemisphere

This covers everything except North and South America, so it covers all of SL's Eastern Hemisphere plus Europe. It would certainly be appropriate for your 9yo and 7yo. You could still use many of the SL readers as readers for your 9yo and some of the read-alouds for them both. This program could also work for your 13yo. Best of all- the IG on CD is only $45.

WinterPromise Children Around the World

This will cover the globe and has an older learners guide so that you could include your oldest.

I have never had any luck trying to have my children use the same history program. On the other hand, I have enjoyed having them study the same general historical period even if they use different products to do so. It keeps my mind in the same place and allowed the younger child to gather information from the conversations that I had with the older. This was true with the 2.5 year spread between my first two and the 9 year spread between the second and third.

Good Luck-

Mandy