Menu

Spelling lists

EMS83

I tried searching the forums and Google and succeeded in locking up DH's PS3, soooo... could anyone direct me to a site or source that gives an idea of spelling lists for grades 1-4? I'm gleaning rules from Phonics Pathways, but exactly how fast should I work through those rules? I don't want to invest in an actual spelling program.

My other semi-related question is: if phonetic spelling is what we're aiming for, why have written lists that they copy? Or do we dictate the list to them?

Thanks in advance!

Here is one:

http://www.aaaspell.com/grade2.htm alternate grades are listed on the left hand side. :)

We use AAS, so we build the words with word tiles, then write on paper. I also make a list to hang on the wall for review. Sometimes we read through the list of words first as well. We don't do copy-work with our spelling words unless it is a word that DD is having trouble remembering, then I may have her write it a couple times for a few days until it sticks.

There are a bunch listed in this thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327399

As long as your child can fully comprehend the spellings and remember them, there's no need to write them down. However, writing them can of course be good writing practice, and the act of writing can reinforce spellings for students for whom spelling comes less naturally. If your child doesn't learn spellings the first time and remember them well, writing could be a great way to aid in recall.

ETA: Another thing I've noticed with my son is that for difficult words, early on he was able to double-check the sense of his spelling more easily when he was able to write the word down. I kept a dry erase board handy for him to use back then.

Edited by Iucounu