Menu

Keeping going or stop and review? OPGTR

cagirlintexas

We are on lesson 50. He is totally getting it but still mixes up his short vowel sometimes and has a little b/d confusion. I feel like if we keep going it will work its self out. He is totally getting blending. I want to keep going because he is picking stuff up and trying to read it. I feel like once he can read the stuff that really interests him he will really take off. Should I keep going or stop and review?

I would say keep going unless he hits a wall and gets frustrated. You can do the 1 new, 2 review that is scheduled in OPGTR too. Just go back to the lessons that he has trouble with. Also, things like vowel and b/d confusion are common, and practice can help. Read some Bob books or Nora Gaydos early readers often to build confidence. :001_smile:

I can't give you a definitive answer, but I will suggest you don't let b/d confusion stop you. This is common for quite awhile. I might be a bit more concerned about the vowel confusion. Would it help to use Scrabble or magnetic letter tiles to play a game each day for a little while? Even if you were to do it quickly before or after the lesson as you move on, the review might be helpful. Stagnation can be deadly to enthusiasm, but if you can make the review fun, he may not feel like he's stagnating.

HTH!

Mama Anna

I wouldn't stop. If he's picking up stuff and trying to read, he understands words convey thoughts and he wants to know. Keep going and do the brief 2 review and 1 new. When my dd is reading her phonics readers, I remind her of the rule if it's new. If the rule is an older one and she says it wrong, I say the rule and we move on.