Menu

Questions about TOG and TOG vs VP

Guest rachelsheart

Guest rachelsheart

Does TOG include any history memory work and if not, do you do any supplementing in this area? How? Also, how are the TOG book recommendations compared to VP? Though I am seeing that TOG is probably what our family needs, I really like VP for what I've seen of its memory work and wonderful books. For those of you who supplement books for those recommended by TOG, how much time does it take you to incorporate them into your plan or to make sure that the pages that your child reads are covering the same ideas that TOG is covering that week?

I appreciate all the advise you have given in the threads I've been perusing the last few days! I am getting a much clearer picture of TOG and think that it might be just what I'm looking for. I like the flexibility, that it is for large families and that the Bible and HIStory are integrated. My kids are very young still but I like the idea of using it with my little ones while I study/familiarize myself with the more advanced stages in preparation for their logic and rhetoric years.

I would love to hear about your experiences!

Rachel

~Homeschool graduate myself~

Happy mother of four and want more, Lord willing!

dd6, ds4, ds3, ds1

:grouphug:

Hi Rachel:

The books recommended for TOG are in the Bookshelf section fo their website. You can do a search to see what the recommended book list is and that will help you compare to what VP assigns. Here's an example: http://www.lampstandbookshelf.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=P21L

I have not done VP in a long long time, so can no longer tell you how they compare with TOG. However, the TOG booklist is very rich in our estimation.

We have not found time to do memory work with TOG aside for older students memorizing the time line dates for tests. I don't think it would be difficult in a lower level to implement your own memory work and still keep up with the TOG plan. It's a pick and choose curriculum and it is not expected that you read/accomplish everything they list per level. You could tweak the lesson plans to develop the memory work in your children and hallmark their accomplishments in a Unit Celebration each quarter!

All the best to you as you make your choices. With the ages of your children, you are at a great place to experiment and see what works now, and have a great year in the meantime!

Blessings, Pam

The big problem I see with Veritas is the lack of material for the education of the teacher. Are you going to read all the books all your children will be reading? TOG has wonderful teacher notes provided to fill you in so you don't have to read them all, although with your children most will be read alouds I suppose at this point. Veritas does come out on top regarding memory work at the lower grades. You could use the Veritas songs with TOG if you like.

Rachel, we've used VP OTAE, NTGR, and MARR and are now going into the american history years. It's inevitable that you're going to learn a ton while teaching your kids with VP, because you're going to be organizing, pulling things, etc. If I wanted to learn more, all I'd have to do is read some extra books from the upper level recommendations in the catalog on the side, it's not hard. The thing I would have regretted at that age, and I'm just being honest, is spending a lot of time planning when you want to spend it with your babies. Of course I've been spending my fair share planning this coming year, but I've really upped the ante on her academically. In general, in years past it hasn't been such a chore. I'm not saying what you should do, just saying that I'd look for the simplest solution you can use to get there. With a 6 yo as my oldest, I'd pick a single spine, read it, buy one activity book or a couple kits, and move on, kwim?

I have a serious history buff dd, but that's pretty much how we've used VP, with a spine, a chart to correlate things, huge piles of books, and occasional crafts. Retention comes with interest and occasional review to keep things fresh. I finally realized that adequate retention to me was a bit less specific than the 7 memory points/questions from the VP card. That means we no longer do the worksheets and I don't sweat it. She still has retention, plenty of retention.